No more SS Cobalt..

Like the Turbo PT Cruiser. What a flop.

but you do realize the stock eaton has a parasitic loss on the engine when it is compressing the air right? the turbocharger on the other hand does not, which in return is greater efficiency.

the 2.0SC engine is using HP to make HP
the 2.0TC engine is not using any of its power to make HP in return its using its wasted exhaust gases to spin the compressor

and after talking to a friend who works closely with GM. it’s no secret, the 2.0Turbo LDK engine is a go for 2009 Cobalts

well if the cobalts get redesigned to look like the Astra, then i might not be interested by that point. i’m not sure i like the way those look. regardless, it’d be good to see the performance model return.

and ya Zack im sure it will flop.

platform and look can be two different things. the Astra is a flexible platform, which can house a coupe, sedan, and a hatch

I beleive some of the Sky redlines/Solstice GXP’s are cracking 13’s stock. I don’t think its so much the engine as it is the RWD. I agree, turbo is the way to go for big power. The blower has a diminishing point of return with the parasitic loss/heat from a smaller pulley.

I am not arguing against the turbo in any way. Just making a point about the engines in their stock form. I agree that the cobalts will be going turbo for '09.

well i was just basing off of what i saw from opel or whatever on that platform. it looks kinda weird and i like the current look of the SS Cobalt alot, so i hope they do a good job when they redesign.

FYI, the Neon SRT-4 went away because the Neon’s last year production was 2005. The Caliber SRT-4 will be available here in a few months.

The caliber is ugly and a shitload more top heavy than the neon…i can see people rolling the first thousand caliber srt’s

The PT is really pathetic with the regular 2.4. The Turbo pretty much addresses that problem without the packaging issues that a V6 would create.

ya but that thing sucks…even if its fast

Do you know that the SRT-4 Caliber is more top heavy than the SRT-4 Neon for a fact, or are you just guessing based off some pictures of the Caliber SRT-4? I personally don’t know. Looks can be deceiving. I guess we’ll see when the SRT-4 Caliber hits the streets.

Without expressing it as fact, the rental caliber that i have this week feels terribly top-heavy, similar to the PT we had last week. Maybe it’s the “dining-room table” upright seating position or something.

It’ll go down the drag strip pretty good, but they’re not gonna win any SCCA championships or anything.

x2

i’ve been the passenger in one while the driver was speeding…felt like it was gonna tip a few times…something i NEVER felt in my neon

seems logical. they dont seem to have a low center of gravity…i dunno, i just hate them

Back on the SS topic… Salespeople and Mr. Cochran himself told me “…in either '08 or '09 the Cobalts will be turbocharged instead of supercharged. They may also keep the supercharger as an option that can be ordered but majority will run turbo’d…” Now, I’m not sure how much info they get straight from GM and whatnot that the public doesn’t… But that seems like something that could happen. Not will happen, but just could. The s/c option is a little farfetched to me though. Oh, they also said something about the G5 gtp or gxp, can’t remember which term they used but same motor options for those and also 6 gears instead of the previous 5.

Uh oh.

The standard transmission is the GM Powertrain Sweden F35 short-throw 5-speed manual with a “no-lift shift” feature. This, combined with the punchy turbo four, helps propel the Cobalt SS Turbocharged from 0 to 60 in a scant 5.7 seconds. In fact, GM set a Nürburgring class record for FWD sport compacts with the turbo Cobalt, lapping the Green Hell in 8:22.85. Better braking accompanies the added power with 4-piston fixed-caliper Brembos in front and vented discs with single-piston calipers in the rear. A driver-selectable competition mode with launch control can be enabled from the cockpit. Beyond that, the traction control system can be completely disabled.

should be pretty nice. they should have gone turbo to begin with.

son-of-a-bitch. i want one

I’d be scared to drive a Cobalt anyways…saw one get in an accident in front of me at 40 and it just kinda…fell apart…maybe the guy just hit him weird…