Comcast digital voice modem

We’re looking at the Triple Play which includes voice. Are there modems available for the voice other than the one you lease from Comcast?

http://www.motorola.com/business/US-EN/SBV5222_US-EN.do?vgnextoid=f53601f1a5e46110VgnVCM1000008406b00aRCRD

that’s what they’ll use for internet/voice. If you can find one on ebay (I just looked and there weren’t any) it should work fine on their system. All cable modems must follow a strict standard, so buying one from across the country won’t matter and it will work the same.

I think it’s only like a $3 difference in price vs. owning your own modem and Comcast may bitch and say that you have to use theirs… Why do you want to buy one? Theyre junk and not worth buying, just let Comcast replace it when it breaks.

I just wanted to see if it was worth buying one instead of leasing.

But as it turns out, they’re saying we don’t qualify for the promotional package since we’re not a new customer, even though we’ve never had Comcast voice. I should just tell them to cancel everything and see if that changes anything.

I bet it would… once they hear someone wants to goto Verizon or cancel all, I’m sure they’ll get you that promo. But yeah it’s not worth it to buy a seperate modem becuase theyre junk anyways.

Tell them you are going to the DirectTV / Verizon bundle… thats what a friend of mine did 2 weeks ago… comcast bent and ended up giving her a better deal. Good luck.

just tell them your cancelling everything thing then and moving to a competitor, they will probably change their tune

I’ve had motorola’s before, but I have a D-link modem I bought off newegg for 31$ like 2 1/2 years ago, haven’t had one problem with it lol. Saved me the 60$/year charge for leasing one.

But do as recommended and tell them you’re leaving if you won’t get the package deal. If they say too bad, hang up and try again with someone else. Good luck.

I had comcast digital voice. It’s just as unreliable as any other digital service. I have Vonage now and the service is just as good if not better and it’s cheaper. I have Comcast for cable and Internet bundled and for us it worked out cheaper with just the 2 versus bundleing all 3. My modem is made by Arris, but I have had mine a while it seems it’s what ever Comcast gives you. The Vonage uses Motorola. just my $.02.