Computer Experts - Assistance Pls

Card is old, was new a few years ago when installed. Has been working fine, but the addition of the second monitor is when the problem started.

When a card is maxed out, what are the symptoms?

My screen will drag upon scrolling and just takes a long time to display anything new on the screen now.

Yeah that’s what I mean by ‘painting’.

A maxed out card will usually pixelate or ‘artifact’ (pixels will get stuck on the screen, etc.)

Try that 8800 out or see what Shady has at his shop. Sounded a lot like a driver, but if that was updated then it the only other two things it could be is 1) your board (highly doubt that)/that particular slot on your board or 2) your card (highly likely if the driver didn’t work). It’s not your monitors or cables.

Thanks, I’ll talk to Steve about his card.

This one work also? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130585

Any idea on the 64bit card compatibility with 32bit Windows 7?

Just out of curiosity, what would be the next bottleneck in the system after a better graphics card was installed?

with JClark it is always a driver issue, pretty much the primary reason for everything he does being slow

That card is fine. OS bit is not directly related to the card bit. Card bit is the memory architecture of the card. The only thing that will effect the card as far as OS goes is if there is no 64-bit driver available for it due to it’s age. That card has the 64-bit driver and the 32-bit driver available, so it’s good. So basically, it depends on age of card and if the manufacturer made a driver for it for whatever OS you have.

Bottleneck as in overall performance? Or video performance? Video performance you could say RAM as Windows 7 and Vista I believe (not sure about XP), share RAM with the video card depending on the application.

Overall performance, could be a million things but my bet is usually on the OS needing a good cleaning (temp files, start up apps, etc.).

:lol

Boom shakalaka, boom :rofl

Well done.

Thanks. Next question, how much should I pay for Steve’s card? Starting bid $10 with free one day shipping. Gotta compete with Amazon ya know.

Well you’d have to find out how much memory his card has, etc.

If it’s 1GB like the one you linked to above…I’d offer him $40-$50. If it’s a 512MB card, $30, etc. The 8800 is a beefier card than the 8400…

Balls in your court now, Steve.

PM’d

Its a PNY 8800GTS 320mb, worked great for years, I just bought shadys old card so I can handle video editing better

320GB!?

:lol

I know what you meant.

So is your driver issue fixed now?

Wasnt a driver issue, supposedly everything is current.

Bah, this driver issue.

Replacing the card with the one from Steve should speed things up quite a bit; if not you might be hitting a limit in general with your available bandwidth - between processor, card bus, and memory. In which case, I’d say you could prob snag up a cheap-ish newer computer for ~300 total.

Nvidia driver says its current and working swell. This started when I hooked up two new HP 2311x 1920x1080 monitors. Any settings I could try? Ideas?

A 6200 should have no problem driving 2 monitors for basic duty.

First, disable or unplug the second monitor, see if the issue is still there, if not then its the card, if so its something else, again like I said a 6200 should have no issues driving two monitors.

Try uninstalling the drivers completely and re-downloading the latest ones. I’m assuming your running Windows XP

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-285.58-whql-driver.html

Those are the latest drivers

If the issue is still happening after uninstalling and re installing the drivers, then it could be a bad card, its rare but it does happen.

It also could be a coincidence and there may be something else going on with your machine causing it to slow down, a bad video card or video card issue should not so much affect the systems overall performance, but will cause some visiual problems/stutters like say when your moving an image from one screen to the other and it “jumps” looks choppy while your dragging rather then just a smooth transition or just not show video at all.

If you dident live so fucking far away now jclark id come to you and just give it a quick once over for a beer and a quick fondle

Actually come to think of it, if you download those drivers and just install them, they now offer to completely wipe the old ones off the system, so just download them and choose custom, and then choose to do a clean install of the drivers…

He said he’s running 7, so he will want one of these.

This is the latest non beta release Geforce Driver Results | NVIDIA

This is the latest beta release

THANKS MIKE!!!

imgoingtoknifeyoulateron

I’ll unplug the second one when I get a second.

On a website, for example, it drags for the first couple seconds. That’s what it never did before this. Once its totally loaded up it scrolls decent. In general, everything is just much slower to display with this new setup.