Computer help

Computer #1 is dead. I yanked the hard drives to slave them to Computer #2. One hard drive slaved fine, and I was able to get the data. The second hard drive is seen in the BIOS, and in the hardware profile, but not in My Computer. It’s seen as a dynamic volume, and not as an NTFS/FAT partition.

Is there any way to get that data off with my 2nd PC running XP Home? Or do I need to install Win2k to access that data?

There is a program called GetDataBack… you should be able to use that to restore that drive. as long as its been seen on boot, should not be a problem

How are all of the hard drives formatted? If Comp #2 is FAT and the troublesome hard drive is NTFS it will not behave nicely together.

what dies on pc1? are both drives good from pc1?
put those hard drives from pc1 into the second pc with your current pc2 hard drive as a slave, boot up and copy all of the info. I take it the inaccessible drive was fine on pc1?

The second hard drive is seen in the BIOS, and in the hardware profile, but not in My Computer. It’s seen as a dynamic volume, and not as an NTFS/FAT partition.

Not sure what you mean…

If you right click on “My Computer”, go to “Manage”, and then go to “Disk Management”, do you see the drive? If so, and it’s assigned a name, try converting it to NTFS…

First things first…W2K uses NTFS, just like XP can(and should).

2nd, check the jumpers on the drives. If they’re set as Masters, that’ll cause some headaches. Set the drives you want to move data from as Slaves, and you should be able to move your data.

I had a similar problem with a Western Digital hard drive that worked properly when installed as the master, but when configured as a slave it would be recognized by the BIOS and the OS, but not accesible.

western digital is the worst manufacturer of hard drives out there. Every one I have ever had has died prematurely(under 3 years old with normal use). fuck WD drives

I have noticed this too but as I recall it was dependant on the other drive and jumper settings. When I changed the master the WD worked as a slave.

everything i’m seeing online says that dynamic volumes can only be accessed by 2000/XP Pro. I’m using XP home. That’s probably what it is.

as for trying jumpers, that was the first thing i did.