Computer I am building soon

So one of my friends just turned 21 a couple weeks ago, and among things that he got was a whole lot of cash (ontop of money he had saved) from his parents. He’s had a shitty dell which he has had to use for a while now and he is finally getting a new computer built by me soon. Parts were ordered last week off newegg, and all but 3 of them are there and they should get there tomorrow I’m guessing. Here’s the specs…

AMD 64 4000+ socket 939 cpu
Asus a8n sli premium nForce 4 motherboard
eVga 7800gtx w 256mb, 256 bit PCI-E vid card
1 gig Corsair XMS ddr400
250 gig western digital HDD
dvd burner and dvd player (from my favorite brand - lite on)
viewsonic 19" monitor (its veryyyyy nice)
Aspire X-navigator (I think this is the name of the case… cant remember off the top of my head).

Simply put, its going to be smoking. I cant wait to build this machine and test it out. I told him the first thing I will be doing after its complete, is installing oblivion and playing it for a while :P. Also, I will probably be getting him one more gig of memory. We’ll see how it runs first though :slight_smile:

Not a bad start. But, you need to do more homework :slight_smile: Heres my opinions. Just as background, I build computers for a living, am a consultant and have been for 3 years, and am a computer systems engineer as my day job. It is my job to know whats what :slight_smile:

opteron dual core Opteron 165. Double the L2 cache, and even cheaper. Will overclock better, and at stock speeds run smoother.

I also like the DFI ultra infinity NForce4 LanParty motherboard over the ASUS.

Video card is very nice… if you want to spend a fortune :slight_smile:

Make sure the memory is good quality DDR400… 2-2-2-6 latencies. I usually use PQI Turbo or Crucial Ballistix. They overclock well.

250 GB hard drive… get SATA II 3.0Gb/s. I’m not sure if the ASUS supports SATAII, but I know the DFI does.

DVD burner… NEC 3550A is a choice among lots of people, but Lite-Ons are nice too. :slight_smile:

what version of the viewsonic 19" LCD?

And, a case is purely your call :slight_smile:

EDIT: I just noticed you already ordered it!!! What were you thinking before getting advice? Oh well… its still a nice machine, but just not all it could be sigh

Eh, I’m not going to be doing any overclocking with his machine whatsoever. I have built several machines (although not for a job like you :P) so I do my research but you are probably more knowledgable with lesser known stuff. I’ve been using Asus for a while and I’ve been very happy with them so I continue to use them until I find something better or they start to suck. The video card that I was initially going to get got sold out, so he said just spend more and get something better (LOL I wish I could do that :frowning: ).

The memory is definately very high quality. I have the same stuff in my system and I have been VERY happy with it. It’s actually timed at 2-3-3-6, but its good stuff.

The monitor is actually a CRT as he has the desktop space for it and he really didnt want to spend a ton extra just for LCD.

If I had more time I probably would’ve picked parts a little differently, but this machine will by no means be a slouch :P. I plan on upgrading my computer actually within a few months so when I do I’ll be sure to toss you a PM thouhg :slight_smile:

EDIT: Managed to find the monitor link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116282

Replace PSU with antec,OCZ,Seasonic,FSP.Aim for a 500 watt.Expensive system and I wouldnt stick an “aspire” PSU in it.Good to have incase you ever go SLI.

Where are your raptor(s) at? SATA will do but raptors put a nice touch on everything.

I would’ve went with the opty like clean baldy said.

yeah, I wasnt planning on keeping the aspire psu in it… shouldve added I’m gonna be replacing that. I would do raptors for him but that’s just more money spent for him. If this system was for myself, you can bet there’d be raptors in it :wink:

I would also set up a RAID setup, disks are cheap, data is not.

I know it’s the “nerd corner” and all, but if I had a pile of cash, I wouldn’t spend it on a computer that would be outdated in a couple years anyway. Moderation is the key. Get something that will get the job done, and put the rest of the cash into your car. This is a auto enthusiest board, right?

I agree with this as well.

I am still running my AMD XP 2800+ chip, but keep upgrading the video card. I’m only running a 6600 GT AGP card.

I just got Oblivion, and even though I can’t play it at 1828032 X 18920383 I’m fine at 800 X 600 at medium settings. It looks incredible even then.

I have never seen myself ever spending more than $150 on a video card. And my processor seems to be doing OK :slight_smile:

Maybe with the AMDs next release of processors will I upgrade again…

+1

RAID 5 = redundancy + speed

You have all this fast shit, and your hard drive is a gigantic bottleneck.

:word:

I have a 500W Antec. It also has some SmartPower thing too I think. Got it for $50 on sale cheap at CompUSA a while back. Definately a good buy.

i agree with howie and walter. Even if u get a really fast HDD and 2gigs of ram, its still only gonna be so fast. dont cheap out on that. do it right

I like RAID 0+1 rather than RAID 5 in a home machine. Striping and Mirroring. The speed of striping, and the protection from mirroring.

Of course, thats just my opinion. I dont even use RAID at home… LOL

I personally am a fan of Raid 0+1 as well. I don’t have it set up on my computer atm cuz one of my hard drives took a shit, but oh well. =(

my current setup is an a64 / 3000 w/ 1 gig dual ddr kingstons on the asus a8n sli premium with twin gigabyte geforce 6800gt. Based on the stability of my system, I say :tup: to the system you’re building. although that 7800 is damn expensive.

for $100 or $150 or so more he could have a 21" dell widescreen LCD.
good for most anything and looks pimp.
i just built a PC for about $1000
AMD single-core (will wait for the new AMDs before i go dual core)
2GB Corsair XMS RAM
seagate 300GB SATA II hard drive
plextor slot load dvdrw drive - overpriced @ $100 but slot load is hot to me.
evga 6800GS SLI video card - plenty for counterstrike which is all i’d play and it was a GREAT deal
biostar microATX board
aspire microATX case
yep all micro. going to be a watercooling project stuffed into there as well.

i LOVE it and only $100. well i did pay almost $400 for the dell LCD but after having a 20.3" widescreen iMac there was no going back. all newegg by the way.

that looks like a good setup, but as others have said… the card is probably overkill and that money could have been spent elsewhere, like on the hard drive.

I got to say this much. I’m over his house right now, and he hooked up the monitor to his current computer. This thing is nice as hellllll… I need to get myself a 19-21" monitor =(

Slickdeals.net… get yourself a 19" Ultra LCD or whatever they call it from Dell… great gaming LCD… less than $250 after coupons.

Also, the $35 coupon from Ebay is legit. ive bought them before… no problems.

:slight_smile: