You have $1800-$2000 to spend ...

I built one on NEWEGG… comes with a 24" monitor (1080P).

It was about $1650.

I’m considering an i7 machine with some DDR3 memory instead of the DDR2 machine I just pieced together. I saw significant savings in RAM prices obviously.

I just want to see what direction you guys would take with that kind of cash to spend on a rig that will see 90% gaming and 10% HD video editing.

If I go the i7 route, I want the MOBO to support Crossfire and SLI… and also have 6 memory slots. Triple Channel is what I’m after.

I know there is a new i7 CPU coming out, but I don’t want to wait that long. 45nm will do just fine.

MUST -
Have at least 1TB HDD.
24" monitor (1080P)
GTX 260 216 SC (or better video card)
Quad Core (or a very good explanation why not)
850+ Watts

I really don’t want to put in too many other limitations, or you’ll end up building the same thing I did. Shipping was about $50, which I didn’t think was bad.

An OS would be nice. I forgot about that.
Vista 64 is on the wish list… but I may end up with 32.

Buy the parts and build your own and get an extra $500 in performance for free.

I always thought that was the case… but a couple months ago I couldn’t beat ibuypower’s prices if I built it myself, and it came with a warranty.

Falcon’s are overpriced, as well as alienwares… but there are some builders out there who get deep discounts on the parts, and you can’t beat the prices.

The i7’s are already out and you can build one kickass machine for your price range

yeah not counting the monitor, you can build a sick tower for 1000$

ATi HD 4870 x2

envigopc.com they may have what your looking for at a decent price.

if not I’d suggest reading reviews of ibuypower, etc. and go from there. I always though building it yourself was the way to go but that may not be the case anymore.

mav, thanks for the site.

ATI is no longer the king of the hill. GTX295 is the best VGA in the world. I’ve already played on one… smoked, absolutely smoked 2 Ultra’s in SLi.

I know the i7 is out… but there is a 32nm i7 coming out in September (I think) which is amazing…

The existing i7 is on a 45nm platter… which is still cool, but it consumes 32/45x as much power and makes that much more heat than the new i7 that is coming.

There will always be newer/faster/cooler computer components coming out just down the road. If you pay attention to the next new thing, you’ll never have a computer…

And if you wait until September, it will be obsolete and the 2nd class in 6 more months. Buy now, as the power of the computer it appears you are building will be fine for at least a couple years.

Get the i7 45nm now :slight_smile:

ALSO, if I’m not mistaken (which I don’t think I am) 32-bit windows can only support 4GB of RAM. If you plan on using DDR3 and 6GB, you’ll need the 64-bit version of Vista/Windows 7

Correct. Buy an EVGA x58 (supports both sli and xfire), and an i7 920. Some people are able to get the 920s at 4.4ghz on air.

This is what I went with.
I’m looking for Vista 64 right now (hint hint)

$25 - N82E16827106266-LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model iHAS220-06

$110 - N82E16811129021 - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$130 - N82E16822148337 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive)

$290 - N82E16824236048 - ASUS VK246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

$504 - N82E16814130449 - EVGA 017-P3-1291-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

$290 - N82E16817379009 - ZALMAN ZM1000-HP 1000W Continuous @ 45°C (Maximum Continuous Peak: 1250W) ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Modular Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Pow

$70 - N82E16836116025 - Creative Inspire T6100 76 Watts 5.1 Speaker

$160 - N82E16820231225 - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

$560 - N82E16819115202 - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

COMBO - N82E16813141017 - XFX MBX58ICH19 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

$70 - 3 Day Shipping

$2,199.13

So I went a little over. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what cooler I’m going to buy for the i7 yet. I’ll give it a little more time on the market.

BD Burners are still almost $200, and I already have a PS3 for playback…

This case is awesome. A friend of mine has it and can’t recommend a better case.

1.5TB drive… can be had cheaper… I’ll be keeping an eye on the price of this one as it tends to fluctuate about $10.

ASUS is a brand I know and love… haven’t had any experience with their monitors… but this seemed like a great deal.

The GTX 295 is the best card on the market. I’ll be adding another… or 2 when I need it.

Zalman is a leader in everything they do, especially PSUs. I didn’t want to outgrow the PSU with TRI-SLI, so I went big and reliable. There are several fans in the case, and OC’ing everything with also consume the volts.

The 5.1 is just because I’ll also be playing the PS3 on this monitor… and I have an HD Sony SR1 camera that I’ll be playing back on the PC. Not the best sound, but good sound.

G.SKILL is decent RAM. Went 1600 because it wasn’t all that much more expensive than the 1333. I don’t see myself needing anymore than 6GB right now… but if need be, I can do 6 more down the road, pretty cheaply. This will also support the Triple Channel on the MOBO.

i7, well, because it is the i7. I’m not worried about power consumption or heat at this point. I should be able to see about 4GHz out of this CPU with some careful clocking.

XFX is a killer brand, especially for OC’ing MOBOs. The combo @ NEWEGG saved me $25, and the board is sweet. Plenty of potential there. Never cheap out on a MOBO.

If anyone has any coupon codes I could use on NEWEGG I’d really appreciate it. Would like to get under the $2k mark.

If you see any problems or have any suggestions, I’m all ears.

Well at least you have a bigger e-penis and a bunch of unnecessary computer equipment

I’d like to hear an explanation. Primarily because you suck… but secondarily because I was looking for feedback with substance.

I could use a good laugh too because I don’t know where my e-penis could play a role in a PC build.

What practical reason do you have, that requires what you have / or going to purchase?

A 500 Dollar Video Card and a 560 Dollar processor. If you play a shit load of games the Video card could be justified. but 560 for a processor… you are out of your fucking mind.

and give it 3-6 months all that shit is gonna be worth 1300 bucks. Its like buying a Cavalier

:word:

I never understood building up something like this since it loses value faster then a GM car.

Regardless its your money…

Sweet build though.

Since your over killing it why not some raid setup?

I built mine up, but I couldn’t justify spending 400-500 on a graphics card. There isn’t any application or game I use that needs a GPU like that. If a computer is good for 10 years that is a long fuckin time. Even after 5 years it starts looking archaic. Your build is pretty BA but it’s a lot of money to spend on something that will be half the price 1-2 years from now. The Antec 900 is awesome though I really love that case. Plenty of room and enough fans to keep it cool.

You’re dumber than i gave you credit for. :picard:

It is a gaming PC… that is pretty obvious… especially if you read the first post in the thread. I’m one of the few on here who games on both PC and console… and is competitive.

There is no reason to not buy the $500 video card… since it is the best one available and will leave me the best opportunity for an easy upgrade in the not so distant future.

The processor is not $560… it is $294… if you used your eyes, instead of your vagina to read the post you would have seen that the CPU and MOBO were a COMBO… which means they come together for that price. Did you think the MOBO was free??? Cause I didn’t post a price for it individually.

This is not the right sub-forum for you… stick with basic OT and whoring up Gen Auto before you start talking about someone’s e-penis when you have no idea what you’re talking about.

I know all about depreciation in the PC world. It gets cheaper and cheaper everyday… JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE!!! Do you think your POS increased in value? No. It didn’t depreciate like a Cavalier but I didn’t build a Cavalier… I built the Corvette. Much better re-sale. If I wait 6 months to build a PC there will always be something faster, better and more expensive. Build it now, pay for it now… and enjoy it now.

Do yourself a favor… price out this rig, with these part numbers in 6 months and let me know if it depreciated $700.

Everyone is aware of the daily advance of technology and the hourly drop in prices… (at least I thought everyone knew)

Why go out and buy a plasma TV? OR an LCD? It will be cheaper in 2 months. Wait till then. Then I’ll tell you the same thing. It will always apply.

I don’t really want a RAID setup right now. Sticking with a single drive… if it works out (nobody really knows because they are so new) I’ll consider getting another one, with the BD burner. They will both be cheaper by then.

What card would you get?

Cheap out and get the GTX 260 216? For what?

1. This isn’t a “budget build”, so there is no reason to go cheap on the heart of the system.
  2. If I went ATI I would have saved… like $10 and had an inferior card.
  3. Any other card, in SLi or Crossfire can’t compete with this single card dollar for dollar. (2) 260s are slower, for $500.

You can’t wait forever to build a PC because shit keeps getting cheaper.

You guys running DDR2 RAM and 775 sockets… are out-dated.
AGP slot on that MOBO? lol… good luck upgrading.

This card is more powerful and the $650ea 8800 ULTRA in QUAD SLI from last year. Will it be overtaken next year? Yes. Should I wait? No.

That’s a nasty build for $2k give or a take a few… That could easily last you years of gaming.

I agree if your going to get the best or almost the best in everything, why cheap out on a certain component, especially the vid card… wouldn’t make sense at all. You could probably run 4 copies of COD5 at the same time at max settings…drool.