Computer nerds ... discuss

My server is dead. Specing out a new combo, looking for the best bang for the buck that i can get.

Check it & discuss bitches:

1. Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569Q9550 - $219.99

2. Open Box: ASUS Rampage Extreme LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - $155.99

3. OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P20004GK - $96.99

4. OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC - $79.99

5. ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - $159.99

Total = 712.95 - $50 in mail in rebates.

I already have a case, etc just need the barebones shit. What do you guys think? Is there a better / cheaper bang for the buck combo to be had?

That will match that in performance? No. I’m building pretty much the exact same system.

:slight_smile: well at least i have my shit together still!

I’ve had issues with ASUS boards in the past. Just last week a computer I built for work used an ASUS mobo, it shittanked and won’t power up. Building an Intel setup now. I know some computer guru’s love ASUS boards but IMO they are not that great. I like DFI, gigabit, msi for AMD builds.

hmm i’ll look around… i’ve had horrible luck with ABIT boards though, thats what i have now.

I’ve used MSI, Gigabit, and DFI before. Both intel and amd builds. None of them have given me problems.

what about this board instead? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128364

GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Looks like a good mobo to me. Should have all the performance of the other one, if not more.

Dude I’d stay away from abit as well, buddy of mine had issues with a couple of them.

He’s got an abit now and doesn’t like it

Looks good, but the memory thing is kinda weird. A friend of mine had a mobo with PCIx and AGP, that was the worst idea ever :lol

x2 it’s a POS. Chipset fan died after only a year and i had to replace it and most recently the alarm started going off for no fucking reason. boots / runs fine. after a lengthy attempt at diagnosis last night i finally just unplugged the speaker. fuck it, let it melt.

unfortunately in the process my 300gb hd took a shit. pushed me right over the edge.

I dunno what you mean about the memory deal? That’s the way the good ddr3 boards are from the way i understand it… it just shows the OC speeds it supports other than the base… right?

That is my understanding as well. It looks like a solid board. I’m actually changing my parts list up a lil bit to go with this one over and intel board I had picked out. :slight_smile:

sweet.

Hard drive question… my WD 300gb caviar blue died…

i want 1tb+ … what do i get?

I have a seagate 1TB. Haven’t had any problems with it. Have also used 500GB Western Digital drives before with no problems, but not there 1TB. Watch newegg for deals on 1tb drives. I got mine for like $130 bucks from there.

Now I’m going SSDs, where $150 gets you 16GB. :rofl

see what u fist have to understand is how the BVD works in conjuction with the HBO 1 2 and 3. once u learn that, u will see y we use DVD’s to reformat the HPV and the STD’s.

wayne ! that looks fine dude

with the asus thing, i’ve had issues with the cheap asus boards a few times

i’ve used the more expensive 200+ and havent had any issues, I believe asus used to be alot better :frowning: idk… i guess they are still good its just like the cheap ones… stay away

abit i’ve had alot of RMA’s on, no good in my book

i usually go with asus expensive boards dont have probs

those 30-50 dollar boards tho… ehhh

Hahaha

i got a seagate, put a western digital in a clients pc, works fine as far as i know, either one man ! newegg FTW on that !

even cheaper now ! less than 80 bucks

and yea SSD im going there in the fall, want to get something big tho