computer keeps turning itself off ...

maybe one of you can help me figure out what’s wrong with my computer. I’d say maybe 2 weeks ago my computer just started shutting itself off. i’d leave it on over night because of downloads and wake up with the computer off and making a very quiet high pitched sound. well now i can’t even get it to boot up all the way. it runs for maybe 5 - 10 seconds and then shuts down again. my guess is that it is over heating or something like that. when i could run the computer right, i checked it for virus’s and stuff like that so it isnt that. anybody have any idea what it might be?

did you recenlty add somethign new to the hardware? maybe its your powersupply

my computer was doing that when the operating system took a dump

worked fine again when i reinstalled windows

nope i didn’t add any new hardware. i built the computer prolly close to 2 years ago and all the same parts have been in it since. i can’t even get to the part where you boot from cd to install a new windows … it shuts down by then

did you set your dvd drive as the primary boot drive first ?

otherwise it will continue to boot from the hard drive

first, I’d open it up and check out the power supply…maybe the fan aint workin no good

-cheater-

helluva job cheater…helluva job

god im hammered…sorry

whatever you do dont try to “open” up the pawersupply.

doing that = you dead.

but what cheater said is all good, i just dont want a dead nyspeeder :going to bed now cus im way over tired:

oh i know not to open the power supply. i’m actually pretty computer savy … no genious or anything, but i know a bit. it doesnt make it that far to change the settings in bios … i’m gonna take the computer aprart and look and check a few things out

“quiet high pitched sound”

I’ve encountered this before,power supply might have a leaking capacitor or other damaged component.I had a brand new PSU do it,took it apart and the tops of the caps were buldging.Only way to fix is replace the PSU,dont even try to take it apart.Ya…my computer was off and it was making the noise,It would stop after a few mins being unplugged.

My TV makes the same sound,drives me insane…in that case its the flyback being noisy.

yea that sounds like a cap malfunctioning, if i had to guess ide say power supply. let us know

yeah i’m not going to take the power supply apart … specially seeing as how cheap it is to pick up a new one

swing by here first, i have two power supplys just chillin here

nick, thanks for the offer about swaping psu’s, but i fix it. i was right, my computer was over heating. i have my computer set so that at a certain max temp, it powers itself down before any of the components can fry themselfs. it’s a nice feature! what was wrong was the fan that sits on top of the heatsink was on it’s last leg and was only spinning at about 50% so the cpu was getting to hot. i swaped out the fan and now the computer runs like normal again.

If your pc is shutting down, power it down, remoce the cpu and heatsink. Make sure you dont have excessive dust on the heatsink. Blow it out with high-pressure air and reinstall everything. Should be good to go. Make sure your cpu fan is working normally too.

or, instead of fucking with the cpu, he could just take the entire tower outto the garage and blow it out as an assembly … works quite well …

i already fixed the problem. i took the computer outside and blew it out. took the heatsink right off the cpu, and blew it out (a shit load of dust came outta it). still over heated … turned it on … watched it run … noticed fan over cpu/heatsink was spinnnig to slow … replaced fan with another fan … computer runs great … lol

Congrats on the fix… I hate when a computer isn’t running right and you can’t quite figure it out.