computer problem:HELP!

So my PC likes to shut down out of nowhere, every once in a while. Happened last night, and now after turning it on it tries to boot up, then (repeatedly) goes to the black screen that says something along the lines of “the computer didn’t shut down properly, so use the arrow keys to select a start up option…safe mode, safe mode with network etc etc”…and no matter what I choose, or if I let it just count down and start automatically, it gets to the windows start up screen and just reboots again, over and over and over.

It’s my roomies computer ( he’s sleeping right now), and last time it did this he had to send it away to get a new hard drive and the whole deal. Is there ANYTHING I could possibley do to fix this right now? ALL my school work from this quarter is on there and I’m dreading him having to send it away and losing all my work and being computerless. BTW I’m on his back up 10+year old computer that is useless other than still being able to run internet explorer.

your MBR is fucked

boot to dos and type

fdisk /mbr

see if that helps.

I can recover that data on it, so if thats the case let me know and ill help ya out.

I had a similar problem. mine was just because of a weak power supply. If you’ve recently added a drive to an older (read: worn down) power supply, you might need a replacement/upgrade.

food for thought.

How exactly do I get to DOS?.. it’s been a few years since Ive had to.

Sounds like something happend with operating system and for it just shutting down out of nowhere that would be a bad power supply.

Check to see if you have proper coolant to the cpu/memory

also when does it usally crash? when ur playing games? etc…

I’m thinking bad power supply too because it runs just fine and then BAM it’ll just shut down…

And when it shuts down I’m usually just online searchin’ around, or using Illustrator or something. Always just one thing running at a time when it happens… We don’t run any games on that computer.

ok mine was doing the same thing … it wasn’t the power supply or if it was it fixed itself…
i dunno WTF it was doing it but it fixed itself

this just happened to mine, and it was the power supply as well. cheap fix.

So say it is the power supply…what would this entail because I’m sure my roomie will expect me to cover the bill for whatever since I’m the only one that uses that computer…?

mine was @ $25?

it sounds like both operating system and needs a power supply, do you have a operating systems disk?

if the yankee fan cant get data off of it for you i can…

good luck

I probably have a PS if you need one

meh I’m in Pittsburgh