My comp took a shit...need help.

Well my power supply went critical and started smoking so i yanked the plugs and what not. Got a new one and hooked it up…but not it wont load. it will start, but it will not boot up. Is it possible that there was a power surge and that wiped out my HD? I’m at the liberary now so I will not be able to respond for a few days probaly. Any advice besides get a new comp is appreciated. Gettingh a new one anyways…but wanna get this one up and running first to get some shit off it then i could care less.

well if its posting you can lookup what the problem is. if its not posting id start with the motherboard could have got fried from the surge. your HD is most likely fine. try to set it to slave and put it in another computer and take ur shit off

edit: posting is Power On Self Test. its the beeps your computer makes before it loaded the OS… if its beepign weird… go online and look with the bios version and it will tell u what the irregular beeps mean and what is broke hardware wise.

Ahh werd. Yeah it wont even load the bios. It flashes the dpms mode off or w/e then disapears and goes onto sleep mode…if I turn off the moniter and then turn it back on it showes the DPMS mode off sighn and again, goes into sleep mode. When I turn it on it doesnt even beep…it just runs, the fans are going but nobody is home kinda thing.

sounds like your motherboard got fried. which is about right. take ur hd to someone elses computer and set the pins to slave and get ur shit off that way

werd. that sucks…thanx for the advice…it kinda mconfirms what I was thinkin. Teh rents are gonna buy a new comp anyways so oh well. thang god I saved all my music to diosc like a week before it happens.

even if u didnt save it, its not hard to get off as long as the hd is fine which most likely it is.

Pulling power = bad news

pull out all the cards, CPU also

see if the mobo makes any type of noise.

run it with nothing hooked up, just the PS ^^

or go download the geeksquad DVD that was released a few days back, im using it at work, most comprehensive troubleshooting tool out yet :slight_smile:

What’s this DVD? Where can I find it?

have you tried flashing the bios?

lol… the BDE one? still some bugs… it’ll get better.

PM sent. I’ll help ya out

Basically what everyone else said, try removing everything from the motherboard. Try powering on and see if it starts beeping. If it does that might be a good sign. At that point put the CPU/RAM in you should get just one beep every few seconds normally. Then connect the video card. And work from there.

Chances are the HD is fine, just connect it to another computer and copy away.

You can’t flash the bios on a computer that can’t boot.