Computer El Dead? Dead Mobo? PS?

I leave my computer on a lot, woke up the other morning and it was off. No biggie, go to turn it on that night when I get home and it was kafunct.

I turn it on, the lights on the case turn on, I hear the CD Rom spin quick, and a fan start up, but no beeps, and the HD lights never blink. The monitor acts like the computer is off. Nothing else happens. Any ideas?

I was thinking either motherboard or power supply. Any way to know which?

Your shit isn’t overclocked is it? I’d try clearing the CMOS with the jumper and/or holding down the Insert key while starting up.

could be overheating… dusty inside?

if it is/was overheating, you may have blown the motherboard or CPU. It’s probably not the power supply if its getting that far.

sounds like it could def. be a power supply

open it up and give a sniff, if it smells acrid, could be burned out.

Im trying to think of somewhere with really liberal return policies, or you could borrow a PS for testing. dont really need to install it as long as the plugs reach, take you about 5 min to know if it’s the PS.

all compusa stores are going out of business, could prolly get one on the cheap

Try another powersupply

Look for domed caps on the mobo.

werd :tup: got a powersupply for my sisters computer there for like 25 bones (albeit, nothing heavy duty… just a 250watter… but thats all she needs)

General comment: Don’t cut corners with power supplies. A shitty power supply can damage anything in your rig and/or cause a ton of instability problems. Besides, Fortron/FSP/Sparkle Power makes some of the best power supplies on the market and can be had for under $50, sometimes well under $50.

For example:

I have a power supply tester if you want to borrow it before spending money.

Thanks, but I live in Atlanta.

It isn’t overclocked, but as near as I can tell, the BIOS isn’t even coming up. I haven’t pulled the case, I will tonight. It may well be dusty. I did have a breaker trip over night, might have had a surge or something. Any way to tell if I fried the mobo/proc other than swaping to a good one and seeing if it fixes it?

I have a quality PS now, it’s not from cheaping out :wink:

The only thing I know that you can visually identify are bad caps on the mobo. Domed and/or leaking.

Otherwise I’d try clearing the CMOS with the jumper. Maybe the spike scrambled your settings?

No prob, they are like 5 bucks, its nice to have one.

Bad proc, pull the heatsink clear off the thermal paste and check for any type of burns or dark spots on the bad where it might have cooked. As for the mobo visual bulged caps are an easy spot (as posted above).

Something else really basic I didn’t see covered.

Reseat your CPU also, usually no beeping means either one of 4 things.

1. CPU not seated correctly
  2. Power issue
  3. Bad mobo/BIOS issue
  4. PC Speaker isn’t connected, and your POST codes are hiding on you.

If a breaker tripped it could have caused possible damage to it depending on what caused it to trip.

Ive always worried about using vacuums in computers, Im sure its never happened, but there is a large potential of static shock.

:lol:

yeah ur right, ask drdos , hehe

:smiley: