computer will not POST

so im building a computer

Pentium D 805
AsRock mobo 775i945GL
buffalo ram 512kb

computer will not post, does not beep at all either.

cpu fan runs, cd rom drive light comes on.

the psu is older and def not a 300w unit. can this cause the computer not to POST at all?

i have disconnected all peripherals to rule out hd/cdrom failure. no beeps, nothing on the screen(onboard video).

i re-seated the ram, that didnt help. im gonna try and re-seat the cpu at a later date. anything else i can try?

Reseat CPU
Pull the CMOS battery
Unplug any attached devices from the computer and see if it posts
Make sure the motherboard isn’t grounded to the case somehow. (Stray screw, poor manufacturing, etc.)
Try another power supply

About the only 5 things I can think of that you havn’t tried yet.

Did you screw the motherboard directly into the case with out using stand offs? lol

Is their a extra power connector for the CPU?

def. no random screws grounding it out.

all devices are unplugged

im gonna re-seat the cpu tomorow and clear the cmos.

i that doesnt work im gonna hit up comp usa and pick up a power supply. i have a feeling theres just not enough juice to run everything in any of my power supplies.

sounds like a power supply issue to me, also check to make sure that you have the psu on the proper v. I remember I bought a used psu and it was set for 235 or w/e the alt. setting is instead of 115 and wouldnt boot. switched and bam.

have you tried actually listening to see if the PS tries to kick on at all?

a dual core intel, and your using a shit power supply?

Order one online.

If you need one TODAY. Then I can recommend the compusa House brand. Someone else makes them for crapusa they are good quality (at least last year they were).

If you run into troubles I’m an A+ tech that does house calls.

^^^werd, compusa it is

im in long island now, but maybe we can troubleshoot over the phone i it comes down to that

cpu fan runs and the cd-rom drive is spinning

ok could definitly be a lack of power, but it is also likely the mobo or processor, kind of had the same issue building a computer, got the mobo and processor replaced and it booted just fine with the same PS

also i dunno or not (my past couple mobo’s have) but have you checked to see if your mobo has obd? It should have an lcd readout with alphanumeric reading to refer to your manual for the diagnostic code.

never chince on PSU.

With a P4 you need a PSU that has the 4 pin CPU connector,without that it wont boot.I dont know how old of a PSU you are using but it has to have this to work…

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/images/p4-connector-200x142.gif

:word: ,the old one didnt. got the new psu and its working nicely.

i figured the psu was the problem.

good to hear

posting from it now.

got windows installed real smooth.

time for the osx86 dual-boot.

this is usually about the time when the shit hits the fan

:word: cough

yeah i didnt quite get what u were saying. the psu didnt have that plug so assumed everything was plugged in correctly. when i looked at the psu in the store i was like, “ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thats probably why its not working”

I got a computer brandnew from acer in for a customer…took it out of the box turned it on and was like uhhh wtf brand new computer…somehow the plug for the CPU fell out inshipping.