Computer Nerd content inside: Watercooled my gaming PC

In my never ending quest to compete with my friends, I seem to be addicted to spending lots of money on shit. The latest quest for greatness came in the form of revamping my gaming PC. A few days of research lead me to a list of the best water cooling parts i could source. Frozen PC .com is the shit by the way, prices are great and they are in Rochester, so they are to your door the next day.

The Shopping list:
Swiftech Apogee GTZ CPU water block
Bitspower 790i North & South bridge chipset water block
EK 790i Mosfet water blocks
EK Acetal+Nickel full cover water block for GTX285
BFTech GTX285 2GB OC edition
XSPC dual 5.25 bay reservoir with 750Lph pump
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 240 radiator
Swiftech Quiet Power 120mm radiator
Coolermaster 120mm 90cfm 19db fan
LianLi 140mm 90cmf 19db fan
Synth Ultra Kaze 133CFM 45db fans (5 total)
Primo Chill PC Ice water, 2 bottles of 32oz each.
Primo Chill PrimoFlex 3/8” ID 5/8” OD green tubing
Bitspower chrome 3/8” barbs
Frozen PC 5/8” reusable clamps

Reusing the following:
LianLi PC7-F Aluminum case
OCZ ModXtreme 700 watt PSU
Intel E8600 3.3ghz core duo
Crucial Balistix DDR3 1800MHZ 2gb’s
EVGA 790iFTW motherboard
Creative X-Fi pro gamer audio card
LiteOn SATA combo drive
WD Caviar Green 750gb
NZXT Sentry LCD fan controller

All the stuff came in Friday and I started tearing down the machine. This is what it looks like prior to the rebuild.

I mounted the waterblocks on the motherboard in about an hour. The video card was next in line. It isn’t a very good feeling unpacking a brand new $400 video card, and taking it all apart a min later. BFGTech is nice about rma’s though, there isn’t any VOID if broken seals so as long as you keep the old air cooler and all the screws you can put it back together and get it RMA, but still it isn’t something you just slap together. It took me about an hour to clean the old thermal compounds off the chips. The fucking water block was shipped to me with the wrong screws to mount it. The directions say M2, 5x8mm, and they sent me M3’s. True value didn’t have m2’s and I didn’t want to wait. I drilled and tapped all ten holes on the block by hand, that took me 2 more hours and was sketchy to say the least, but they all came out perfect.

The rest was just putting it all in the case. I mounted the 120mm Coolermaster to the single 120 radiator and attached it to the case, one if the 120mm UltraKaze fans to the exhaust on the case and the 140mm to the intake. The dual 120mm radiator was a beast. I took my time and mounted the 4 more Ultra Kaze fans to it with o-rings and washers to isolate the vibrations in a push-pull configuration. Then drilled out the 4 mounting holes on the fab cases to 1/4 inch. I used some ¼ threaded rod to go through the case and hold the radiator off the back of the case. Sleeved the rod with some 3/8 inch copper tubing and then slipped some extra water hose over it to make the stand offs look nice. I then took all the wires on the fans and soldered/heat shrinked the connections and took an extra PCI slot cover and cut it to accept a rubber grommet to send the wires into the case. I took great attention to detail and keep everything very clean and neat. The rest was plumbing and wiring. All the wires were tucked away and hidden as best I could.

The plumbing goes from the pump to the dual 120mm radiator, then out to the CPU. CPU jumps to the Mosfet blocks and then to the north and south bridge block. After that it gets chilled again by the single 120mm in the bottom before it goes into the GPU block and back to the reservoir. I ended up using about 11 feet of tubing and 36oz of fluid.

So here it is:

Performance:
Last night I got a chance to benchmark it stock. GPU was turned back to 3.8ghz for some reason, I think the last time I flashed the bios I didn’t send it back to 4.X where I was prior to. The GPU at the stock clocks and the CPU at 3.8ghz, I hit 17965 in 3dMark06. Max temps with the 3dmark run were, 44C CPU, 38C GPU, 34C/29C 790i chipsets! I ran OCCT on for 10 mins and the CPU hit a max of 46C.

I bumped the CPU up to 4.2ghz and +.1 volt and the GPU up to 720mhz and the shader up about 50mhz. Max temps went up only to 45C on the CPU and 40 on the GPU the rest were the same! 3Dmark06 hit 18795! I am still not 19,000+ where I was with the 4.5ghz and the cranked up 260, but I am sure I will get there. I would love to see 4.7ghz and 20,000 points. I gotta get to work I guess!

Those CPUs can handle just about any overclocking with proper cooling
The build looks amazing:thumbup

wow, looks nice man. srsly.

I stopped comparing the speed of my computer to the size of my dick when i reached puberty. :wierd

effing NICE, Mike!

Fukin cool!

Nice setup man!!!

LOL, dont you have a lifted truck? isnt that the same concept. lol

Thanks for the props everyone. :thumbup

not anymore,i do have big motorz tho, so you could say the same about that :rofl

Looks great man! I have that same air cooler in my setup. I’ve been thinking about liquid cooling for years but never got around to it. How much did the whole setup end up running ya?

No mechanical refrigeration?

I worked on a Liebert system in GE R&D that used liquid R-134a pumped through a computer rack setup and back to a chiller barrel where the R-22 cooled it and sent the heat out to a Lee temp aircooled condenser. Pretty neato.

Time to step up your game son!

Awesome man looks great!

Ehh I really don’t see a need for watercooling anymore to be honest unless you just wanna be a dyno queen so to speak… I cant think of what to call it.

Most AMD and Intel processors now in the 45nm and now 32nm can be overclocked extremely well with just a decent air cooling setup, they dont get as hot when overclocking as older processors used to and even when getting a little toasty they handle heat much better.

Theres quite a few good heatsinks out there for CPU’s that are just as efficent as watercooling setups, although aftermarket air GPU setups are still lacking due to the inability for them to have a huge whopping heatsink on them.

Realisticly IMO unless you care about having a bad ass setup and the best possible numbers you can max out of your system just to say you did I dont see a neeed for watercoolign anymore.

Mike im not trying to take away from your setup at all man, thats just my opinion.

I thought the purpose of overclocking was to heat up the proccessors, so they burn out just in time for what ever the new thing is.

:lol

Yeah the R&D center has some ridiculous things going on there. Probably one of their super computer banks.

I wouldn’t do it because I needed it, but just for the hell of it really. I had my processor running close to 25% faster then stock with just a real good HSF setup (Xigmatech like Krazy’s) and still stable and at a decent temp.

Yeah, fuck if I know what it was cooling. From a refrigeration perspective, it was pretty neat.

CPU block: $65
Chipset block: $90
Mosfets: $80
GPU block: $140
Tubing: $20
Clamps: $12
240 Rad on back: $65
120 rad on bottom: $50
Water: $40
Res and Pump: $65
Ultra Kaze fans: $60 ($12ea)
little 120 fan: $10

The rest of the stuff I had already so the water cooling stuff only was about $697 (prices off the top of my head)

But thats all pieced together and best of the best pieces i could find.

Its cool man, thanks for the props. I hear you on the reasoning to a point. I did it for the project and learning how to do it. I learned alot about fluid dynamics, fan blade design how it relates to pressure, cfm, noise… lots of cool shit.

I got the fans hooked up to my motherboard aux connectors and now I can crank them up to 100% and everything inbetween. for some reason the NZXT controller would only let them big fans get up to 1500rpm. Anyway. with it cranked up full bore it is louder than a server, but my idle temp is 27deg CPU and GPU. Max temp sofar with the GPU at 4.45ghz 1.4V it hit 46C and the GPU cranked up alot already doesnt hit more than 41C! Prior Air setup was CPU around 65C and GPU around 70C… thats a giant difference.

If I turn the fans down to 15% the idle only rises to about 31 and never maxes out past 55C on gpu and cpu… and it is almost silent! that says alot for the setup I think.

Last night I hit 19,675 points on 3dMark06! I am happy so far.

4.5Ghz, video card cranked up to 787,1656,1242.

CPU is getting hot, well not reall but warmer than befor, had to bump the voltages up to 1.42V in bios to maintain a 1.4 running (damn Vdroop) so I hit 54C on the cpu, but the GPu still is a chilly 38C!

Shits fast as hell!

Nice man. Very nice.

I’ve recently been playing with OC’ing myself (for the first time).

I’m currently running my Q9550 with a Zalman fan (one of the best out there) at 360x8.5 or 3.06Ghz. So far so good. I don’t think I’m going any higher. I’m scurred lol. Stock clock is 2.83Ghz.

Attached are two speedfan 4.39 reports. One being ‘stock’ and the other being ‘OC’ed’.

Should I be worried? Should I back off? All the guides I’ve read state 70*C is the ‘limit’.

70C is what I draw the limit on too. 60 is perfectly fine and will run for ever at that temp.

I see the Vcore voltage jumps around alot. Do you have Everest to watch that, I dont understand why speed fan shows 2 different voltages. What do you run to test the stability on? OCCT is a good one, shows core temps and realtime vcore voltages, and pegs it at 100% load and stresses it good.

the vcore voltages are major temp factors. Once you get it stable on a particular vcore voltage, let it sit there for a week and if it runs steady once you hit a target GHZ… try to knock it back down a click on the vcore to drop the temps a little bit.

I’ve only ran Speedtest. I only went up 200Mhz…didn’t think I need to worry about stability as long as temps are okay. Machine ran fine since I’ve done the bump.