Computer Problem/Virus need help asap

Well my computer at home decided to pick up a virus somewhere in the past couple of days. It seems like it’s strictly attacking Norton software as i can’t run any norton programs, the program has an error message and closes out everytime i try to run any norton program.

then my xp service center thing is telling me i have infected spyware, and to click the box to download the latest anti spyware program, but when i click it nothing happens, and the red x’ed out circle stays in the bottom corner of the screen near the clock.

i can’t run firefox or ie, no pages load. i don’t mind reformatting, but i can’t find any of my system discs or a copy of xp, i know i have xp somewhere though.

this just really pisses me off because i only surf maybe 4 or 5 different websites, i don’t even know where i could’ve gotten a virus from, my roommate probably downloaded something. can anyone help me? i don’t mind paying someone to come fix the problem.

Sounds like Smitfraud pwned your ass and its evolved again to block internet use. Did it change your background?

What do the messages say on the bottom in the bubbles, does it say yoru computer is infected and is running at 47% efficiency or something like that.

You need to download smitfraudfix.exe on another computer transfer it on a flash drive and load it on.

Smitfraudfix must be run in safe mode.

Can you access task manager?

I need more symptoms to help diagnose.

yeah i can run task manager, background has not changed yet. no efficiency notice though.

Does it happen when you run in safemode?

Run the scan in safemode, and see what it does. It may or may not attack the antivirus software.

Please don’t listen to The_Russian, there are about 900 million viruses that do the same thing.

i’ll try safemode when i go back home, i’m at the rents now.

That is the first step to take. and go from there. You may also want to make sure your virus definitions are up to date. you can do this with safe mode w/ networking.

These are really basic instructions I don’t want to flood you with info

fixed :tup: