crazy mofo with a death wish

haha I see nothing.

I gotta say…that was some pretty crazy stuff. He is blasting through those areas, and with an open diff…wow…that is all i have to say. Wow…

that was some pretty awesome stuff…
aright i have an super newbie question and i know im gonna get super ass flamed for this, but what does a open differential mean, and how does it help?

Aight let me see if I can do this. :smiley:
Here is the simplified version.

A differential is basically your last stop between your engines torque and the wheels spinning. An open differential is designed so that when you are going in a straight line the wheels spin at the same speed. However, this changes as you go around a corner. When cornering (in any car) the outside wheel has a longer distance to travel, and therefore must spin slightly faster than the inside wheel to maintain even traveling distance. An open differential is designed to alter the spinning levels of one of the wheels when a different amount of torque (power, spinning speed) is applied to either of the wheels. In a corner this means that when you are in a turn, the open diff. senses different spinning speeds are necessary, and adjusts the power to compensate (so that the outside wheel spins faster than the inside and you dont skid or slide).

Compare this to a Limited Slip Differential. A limited slip diff. varies slightly in the fact that under certain conditions (heavy torque or spinning speed difference) it does not let this (different wheels speeds) happen. In a LSD under a hard corner BOTH of the wheels will spin at the same speed (causing loss of traction and thus DORIFTO :smiley: )

Put this all into drifting and it means that when sliding in an open differential you CANNOT get both wheels to lose traction because the open diff is constantly sending power to one wheel (in its attempt to alter the spinning speeds). This makes it really damn difficult to slide the car unless you use techinques that lock both wheels (a whole different topic). (in this case you will probably notice that the guy drifts mainly to the right hand side because the right wheel is the one that is getting all the power. I think that is how the s13 open diff is designed)

Anyway with all this being said, you can probably understand (i hope) that it is much more difficult to get the back end of your car to slide around a corner when you cannot lose grip on BOTH tires. It can be done, with a great deal of speed (as you can see) but it is much more difficult to do and to CONTROL. It is all about the control.

I hope/think that is the basics. Please feel free to add or edit anything I said. :smiley: And yeh…that guy is crazy…

No

No

Sorta

An open differential will simply allow the power out the path of least resistance. When you are cornering, it would take extra effort to spin the inside wheel as fast as the outside, so the power goes to the outside wheel - unless the inside wheel lost traction for some reason. There is no “sensing” the speeds of the wheels.

LSD stands for Limited Slip Differential. It’s designed for limited slip, it’s not locked. The wheels can still spin at different speeds, but both wheels will be spinning.

A locked differential will have both wheels spinning the same speed all the time.

Cool…thanx for the help. :smiley: I still got alot to learn… :slight_smile:

It just shows how you can only drift an open diff at high speed.

His entrance is fast, exit is slow. Reminds me of Pavel on his open diff.

Either way need LSD for drifting.

Anyone know what song or group that is playing??

It got me going! :smiley:

Alexiz on fire maybe??? Im not sure!

Very cool vid, and wow that guys is crazy. And a LSD is not needed. But it helps a lot. I have never drifted or driven a car with one so I cant really tell. But as you can see drifting can be done without one.

And I don’t think it was alexisonfire. Not sure anymore cant remember it already but alexisonfire usually has a nice song with that one guy screaming.