credit card help?

im a noob when it comes to financle (sp) shit so some help would be nice

i want to get a credit card how do i got about doing that
and if i do get one can i go out and buy a street bike with it

:rofl:

g/l with that…esp since you’ve never had…u will prob get a low limit due to it being your first one…how is your credit…

i cannot justify paying 25¢ on every $1 charged to a credit card and let the big financial bigwigs rip me another asshole. hence i do not have any. credit cards are evil. i could see possibly having one for emergency use only but even then they can incur costs by not even using them if you’re not careful.

bad idea. very bad idea…

You basically just apply for one and they’ll run a credit check. Putting a bike on a credit card does seem like a bad idea though because of the high interest rates.

Unless you can find (and qualify) for one that is offering an introductory low rate, although it probably won’t be for anymore than a year. And even then, you have to be careful if you make additional purchases with it, because those new purchases will most likely be at the higher standard rate, which all your payments will go toward paying off before the low interest purchases.

We put almost everything on a credit card(s) and [ay it off each month. We’ve also used them (ones that offer 0-1% APR for a year) for things that we would have needed a loan for, like home improvements, etc. Turns out to be better than a home equity line of credit, even with the tax advantages.

If this will be your first card…combined with no net worth, age, income, you’ll be looking at a nice 23+ % rate. You have to be an idiot to run out an buy a street bike with anything less than 75% down. It’s a perfect way to screw yourself financially for a long time.

First, if the credit card companies are not sending you junk mail everyday since the day you turn 18, there must be something wrong. I get like 5 credit card offers everyday.

Second, if you have never had credit before, your rate will be extremely high and you will have next to zero for you credit limit

Third, if you have even considered the idea of buying a high priced item on a credit card, you obviously are not ready for one.

Forth, why don’t you just finance the bike through the shop you buy from.

And oh yeah, it is financial, if you can’t spell it, you have bigger problems than just your credit.

I am still digging myself out of credit card debt since I was making minimum wage in high school. I racked up so much shit it was unbelieveable. As I have always been pretty smart about my choices, indulging in the plastic world was one bad choice I have made. Now that I am making good money, its slowly getting paid off.

But yeah, everyone is right when they say:
A. putting a bike on a card is ridiculous, the interest will be enough to kill you.
B. The chance of your first credit card limit to be high enough to get a bike will be slim to none.

Why dont you try capital one for a loan? I used them on one of my car loans, not a bad deal.

Finance the bike through the dealer?

Agreed 100%

Try HSBC online

You can apply for one. But like mentioned above, if you don’t get a bunch of offers in the mail, there’s something going on.

Definitey not a good idea to buy something that expensive on your first card because you’re probably not going to get a No-Interest period and your interest is going to be sky high.

Lately I’ve been getting more offers for cards with no interest for XX months. I opened up an Amex card with 18 months and just got the credit limit raised. Work on getting one and putting a balance on it that you can handle paying off right away, then build your credit. I was surprised to see how good my credit is since I’ve been doing that.

My first credit card had a $500 limit. Good luck buying a bike with that…not that it’s a good idea anyway. I put everything on my credit card now. Gas, food, other odds and ends. The trick is, I pay the entire balance every month. That way, I don’t get charged any interest. In fact, I’ve got a cash back card so I actually make a little money doing it this way. The trick is to never put more on the card than you can afford to pay at the end of the month.

I completely agree and followed a similar path myself. I have known many other people who did the same thing.

Stay away from the credit cards and just find yourself a co-signer to get a traditional loan for the bike if you want it that bad.

your words right there…are gonna lead you down a long and painful road of paying a shit load for something…

forget the credit card save up your money and pay cash…

or go to the dealership and get in a finacing program with them…most of them are finacned on credit cards now suzuki cards wand what not…

with whatever route you take be very keen on the intereste rate…whether you get a credit card or you finance thru where you buy the interest rate is very important. try and keep it at or below 10% at least which will be hard if you have no established credit right now. imo, you should save up the old fashioned way and put down at least 50% of cost and finance the rest if you want.

www.citicards.com

Thats where I got my first 2, they had a 0% apr for a year, then afterwards had a 23% interest rate. If you pay on time or early and aren’t close to your limit they usually will drop the apr on it if you call. Mine started with 2k/1500. And I had one friend who they gave out 4k to start.

If you are responsible and you know what you are doing you will pay less than 5% interest monthly by doing balance transfers and end up buying alot of shit you dont need.

Don’t buy a bike on a credit card. That is quite possibly the worst idea ever…well, aside from turbo-charging a neon.

thanks guys and i would be able to make the payments every month
but getting it financed through the dealer is the way to go?

and i do have good credit since i bought a mtb on some same as cash credit plan

Not knowing your situation, where you live, how much you make, age, driving record, it might be hard to get a loan through the cycle shop. Bikes are not a “necessity” and once they figure out your income to debt and income to expense ratio you may not get approved.

Keep in mind that if you get a loan you will probably have to have full coverage on the bike, which could be potentially expensive depending on the bike.

If you buy the bike on a card, I don’t think you need to have full coverage insurance, but will probably pay a higher interest rate, so you may want to check into the insurance first.

How much are you talking about charging? $10,000? What kind of bike?