Cross Country move: Experienced opinions needed.

So as a few of you may know, work is relocating me to southern CA. I’ll be heading out there the first week of August and my first day in that office will be Aug 5th come hell or high water.

My initial plan for the move is as follows: Take my 2009 Legacy 2.5i, slap on a tow hitch and rent a u-haul 4x8 trailer. Sell off all my shit except for the necessities (clothes, computer, tv, cafe bike, and whatever other misc fits.) Once that is loaded up take that first week of Aug off and take a nice 5 day trip out there, which is something I have always wanted to do. Also, while the Legacy is clean and rust free, i’d very quickly trade it in on something nicer or more fun out there, since winter isn’t a thing, so i’m not super worried about drivetrain wear, but rather reselling the car or trading it in in CA.

I have other options as well, like renting a 10’ box truck with a car trailer behind it, but it’s significantly more expensive. While work gave me some money for the move, i’d very quickly soak it all up going this route or podding my stuff out there, but then again I have heard of people getting great rates on pods. Anyone know where to start looking for a good deal or moving company to work with?

I think basically what I need out of this thread is some experience from people who have done it. While my initial idea seems ok in my mind, I am looking for some further insight. I’ve always wanted to make the drive across the country, BUT I WANT TO ENJOY IT, and I want to keep my costs as low as possible, preferably 2k or below if possible.

So, who’s done it? What worked, what didn’t? Chime in.

Never done the trip but make most of it man, you can see and experience a lot of shit in one pop, most of which you’ll never do again. What you going to be doing in Santa Ana?

I’m working in Component Sales through a distribution company. Not a bad little gig.

I’ll be planning an awesome route where we’ll be doing about 500 miles a day give or take, stopping for a nice lunch, hitting up cool sights, and pricelining hotels in advance. Opinions on this would be nice as well, actually. :tup:

I take it they are not paying for your moving expenses?

Mine was completely handled and paid for, so overall mine was a completely different experience.

Overall your plan sounds like a good one if it’s just you and you already have living arrangements lined up.

Mine was handled through a relocation company and United Movers. Relocation company arranged everything, including trip(s) for me to find a new place to live, assistance finding the place; etc. Movers showed up about a week before hand, noted everything; then the day before the truck came a team came and boxed 95% of stuff up that I hadn’t already packed. Next day the moving truck came and packed the rest/packed the truck. They left and we stayed in a hotel that night. Next day we grabbed the dolly from Uhaul, put my wife’s car onto that, and hooked it to my Jeep. Packed her car with the leftovers, loaded up the jeep, grabbed the dogs, and said goodbye to everyone and left. 35 hours later we were in SLC. (5 month pregnant wife and 2 dogs made the stops more frequent than I’d have preferred).

Got to SLC, moving truck showed up 2 days later, they unloaded, then we started unpacking.

Submitted my reciepts for my drive (mileage, u-haul rental, and food); and had my $$ in a week.

Done done, and done.

Work gave me money for the move, but in the form of a signing bonus. What I do with it, or if I use it all is on me.

My apartment situation has already been sorted out. Ive got a great spot with a garage. :tup:

I have already sold off my dressers, misc garage crap, another old Honda in my garage, my bed isn’t coming, etc. I will be REAL lean for the move, which is actually really refreshing.

Man, I am actually super jealous of this. I would love the opportunity to setup in CA with everything lined up already. Good luck to you, it sounds like you have a pretty good start going. :tup:

Gotcha.

Remember then that the cost of the move is a tax write off if you’re paying for it and moving over 60 miles I believe it is. So keep receipts/track of costs.

Absolutely plan on doing that. :tup:

i just moved to irvine at the end of april and i work out of the long beach seaport now.

packed up my house and 2 motorcycles in a 16ft box truck and towed the porsche behind it.

ive pretty much done this drive before so i didnt really care to take my time farting around.

did 3 days of 17-18 hrs of driving with minimal stops (mainly just for fuel)

however i def was around 3k-4k for the total moving expenses after rental/fuel/food/lodging

If you’re wanting to enjoy the drive, and had only planned on pulling a 4’x8’ trailer, I’d look into a pod (or equivalent) moving box and drive without the trailer slowing you down and killing gas mileage. I do know there are cheaper options to pods, I’ve had a few friends move to Southern Cali and all used competitors with great results and much cheaper rates. I would think you could do all of this for under $2k.

I think you’re going to be surprised by how heavy this trailer will become once it is loaded up. It’s probably going to be a bear to drive the car.

F packing that entire house, what a pita that was.

This would be the best bet IMO, get it all over with in one shot.

Absolutely, and that was my main point for this thread. I am worried that towing a trailer will really take away from the enjoyment of the trip, and so would a 10’ box truck. I can’t imagine my ass would feel good in a penske or uhaul box truck for 5 days, fuuuck that. I’m really not worried about drivetrain wear on the car because I do plan on dishing it shortly after to move for something more fun.

Also while podding the bulk of my shit would make the drive nice, i’m kind of reserved about podding the bike. Yes, it’s a piece of 70’s dogshit, but i’d hate to have something bad happen to it in the pod. Thoughts?

My total that was paid out between me and the moving company was ~6-7k; and that was them doing 80% of the work. I pre-packed a lot as I cleaned out the house and went through everything.

dude, pod it all. build a mini-crate type thing out of some 2x3’s around the bike and strap it in tight. get a roll of cheap shrinkwrap from HF and go nuts. might even make sense to spend a little on casters for the crate. that will ensure it will take the trip safely…esp if everything around it is just boxes of shit. take a suitcase and some snacks/drinks and enjoy some traveling and sightseeing just with the car.

I’ve never done it, but that’s how I’d do it.

That’s totally what I am getting at with this thread, I really really want to make the best of this trip and i’m sure the pod would be ok if I prep enough. While it would be nice to have full control over all of my belongings for this trip… the last thing I want to do is be stressing about a trailer in traffic, or some sort of emergency braking situation.

**DOES anyone have a good reference for a pod mover, or a good deal I could chase after? I want to get on this asap.

Having towed fully loaded 4x8 trailer with a 4 cylinder car :tif:

Go the pod route :tup:

You going to Skype Nick from the WC when you have bike issues? Haha. Good luck with the move mang, lets cruise before you leave!

so where you going to be living/working?

http://www.upack.com/

These guys were awesome, they arrived right on schedule. Highly recommend them.