Cross Country move: Experienced opinions needed.

For now I will be living in Rancho Santa Margarita, working in Santa Ana. I’ll be subletting off a friend for 5 months or so, and after that looking for places. Thinking Huntington Beach, but i’ll have some time to get the ‘lay of the land,’ so to speak. The living situation in Rancho is super awesome so it’ll be a nice transition.

Thanks, i’ll look into this. Anyone else have experience with others? Anyone on here work in the shipping industry that could hook a dude up?

i would strongly suggest commuting on your bike if you are going to be using the 5/405 during rush hour lol.

i will also be looking to head up to huntington/sunset/seal beach when my lease is up in irvine.

the problem will be finding a decent place there for me with a big enough garage…

Same. I am lucky to be landing where I am, as I have a FULL detached garage and another covered spot all for me. It’ll be tough to leave when the time comes.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I missed this. Thanks man, much appreciated. I’m looking forward to it!

I moved to Atlanta and back to Buffalo.

16’ Truck with a car hauler. Dont sell all of your stuff unless its total shit because you will get no $ for it and have to re purchase it somewhere else.

PODS is a great option as well. I wouldnt want to think that I could pack my life into a 4x8 trailer. That would make me sad.

Meh, life isn’t all about material possesions, and there were a few things I was considering leaving with my folks before the move, ie: some caster tool chests, etc. Now that I know I have a garage I am reconsidering, lol. I’m mid 20’s (err now late 20’s as of 8 days ago :() and I don’t have much of a personal attachement to my shitty dressers and old ass couch set from my aunt and uncle. I’ll worry more about that shit when it comes time to buy a home. For now, the friend I am subletting off of just had his previous roomate leave a bed, dresser and desk out there where I am staying, and I hear here it’s all good stuff. Fingers crossed, lol.

Other than that I have some hockey equip, lax equip, an old chest, foldable table, misc shit, tv, clothes, desktop and a laptop, etc. It’s really not that much stuff and it’s really refreshing not having a ton of weight holding me down.

Yeah…at 32 I dont ever want to move again. Too much shit and 3 cars would cost a fortune.

33, 3 cars, 2 dogs, a wife, kid, and a house full of stuff… and I’ve got to move in 11 months… counting the days and dreading the days. Hopefully I can find a company to pay for it so i don’t have to pay out of pocket.

28, 1 car, 1 bike, no kids, no wife, no pet, no mortgage, no furniture coming with… feeels good mannnnn

No mortgage this time! Renting, thank god. Knew this SLC thing would be temporary. And this next move is one that should get a Relocation and Signing Bonus.

Actually looking forward to the new job and career; just not the fun of packing and driving cross country at least once, probably twice to do the move.

(Moving companies have restrictions on what they’ll move, so a lot of the stuff in the garage they won’t; IE: My welding tanks, Painting chemicals, Automotive Chemicals, Gas Cans, the Firebird because it’s not registered/drivable, etc. Nice part is my Dad is now retired and has an open 20’ Car Trailer, and I’ve now got a Truck that can tow 10,400# and will be buying a 20-24’ Enclosed Car Hauler; so between the 2 of us we should be able to do it in 1 haul between the 2 trucks/trailers.)

Lady friend moving with you?

She’s wrapping up a few things with grad school and work, but the plan is around xmas she’ll be out. She’s a super smart, driven girl about to wrap up a masters in International business and she is fluent in spanish. She’ll be my sugar momma in 5 years.

Truthfully, the long distance thing is the only part of this move giving me anxiety, as I know how tough it can be.

I wasn’t proactively looking to move right now, because the timing with her isn’t ideal, but this is something where work approached me. I couldn’t pass it up and she’s been super supportive of the whole thing.

Yea, but if she’s got a Masters in International Business and long distance is going to be a problem… that’s not good. I’m willing to bet any job she gets that would allow her to be a “sugar mamma” would involve EXTENSIVE travel. Just a thought.

I’m not saying it is ideal, but we’ll see how it goes. Life has a funny way of working itself out. We’ve known each other since '05, and have been dating for north of 3 years. I have faith it will be ok.

Like I said, this is the only part of the move that has been tough. Short term long distance has ruined relationships in the past for both of us.

EDIT: and to your comment… it’s not the travel for work that’s the problem… it’s the fact that she’s got a few things to wrap up that will keep us apart for 4-5 months. It’s not like i’ll be able to swing $500 round trip flights every weekend either. If she snags a killer job down the road with lots of travel, and we are living together, I have no issues with that AT ALL.

Round trips to Cali from Buff are super cheap on Southwest, I go every few months, avg. about 270 per roundtrip, I think you and your lady are gonna be fine

Yeah, not quite sure how we got there… slightly off topic lol

Anywho… any experiences with the trip across? Places that are a MUST see? Anyone have a killer hookup on a pod-like shipper?

No hookup on the Pod shipper.

If I were to do a casual drive cross country for something like this:

Chicago - waterfront, maybe a baseball game, etc
St Louis - check out the arch
Iowa - Iowa 80 Truckstop - just for shits and giggles, been here at least once, worlds largest truckstop, kinda cool actually
Grand Canyon
Vegas

In regards to the pod shipping. I would just google their type of business, get a few together, call and get some quotes and start shopping them. Once you get your best quote, call another and have them match it or beat it. You will prob have better luck than someone giving you a “hook up” and you will probably save more money.

Willybeen and I drove down to FL in a Uhaul with a beagle…23 straight hours non-stop.

i know you are ruling out the truck rental but i just googled something like “budget truck rental coupon” and came across a 20% off coupon code that worked so it saved me a decent buck.

perhaps you can find some working coupon code for the pods?

:tup: i’ll be making a few calls in the next couple days