Cross-Country Road Trip

So, my friend and I are headed on a month long trip across the US. Spending this week getting anything fixed on the TDI that could go wrong, and we’re headed out June 1st. I was going to use this thread to document the trip and post pictures along the way.

Our route isn’t definite, yet. So, I was looking for some suggestions on places that you guys wouldn’t be able to go without stopping at.
What we want to stop at for sure: Mt. Rushmore, Yosemite, The Badlands, Zion, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Arches, Carlsbad Caverns, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Redwoods, Seattle, LA, San Diego, San Fran, Vegas.

Any suggestions would be cool, any places you guys have been that would be a good time.

I’ll be sure to keep this updated along the trip, whenever we pick up the interwebz.

Where in the US are you driving? Seems like most of the places you listed are on the West Coast.

Sedona, Arizona

Have always wanted to do this. Enjoy!

I would have to think Yellowstone/Grand Canyon/Vegas are all must sees. Maybe stick up north the way there and down south the way back.

Memphis TN/Beale St is worth checking out its on the way if your going East -> West

Big Sur and the California coast are must sees. Devils Tower is just east of Mt. Rushmore and you could hit Yellowstone if you plan to be as far north as Seattle.

Sears Tower in Chicago. Nubble Light in Maine (plus seafood)

Get AAA or some equivalent.

Don’t pick up hick-hikers.

Cut your hair?

Let me know/PM me when you guys are going to be in the SLC area, we’ll meet up for a beer or two!

Stay close to any and all VW dealerships as it is only a matter of time before a piece of shit VW breaks down.

Take lots of pictures of your self, menyak.

The grain elevators and niagara falls.

Bunny Ranch?

be sure to take the california 1 from monterey down to san luis obispo when youre going from san fran to san diego…

carlsbad caverns were pretty impressive

I did a similar trip for 3 weeks from Denver… I hit sevearl that you already listed, but my favorites were bryce canon and capital reef.

inb4threadhowdoifixmytdiiminthemiddleofnowhere!!! :slight_smile: love you Kev

Zion is awesome, as is the run from there down to Vegas, you can run 100+ the whole way if you are careful with fighter’s buzzing the highway down to Nellis (seriously, and if you dont get pulled over this shit is awesome). If you want to venture south MOAB is awesome, but DO NOT FUCK AROUND on the roads there unless you are ready to pay up. They may seem like public roads, but federal marshals will show up. If you really like beer, Ft Collins CO and the Estes brewery West of there are both great spots to hit for micro brews.

Do NOT fuck around in Nebraska, they hate people who speed, especially those from the east coast. But West of there speeding tickets are a joke monetarily, and don’t transfer to NYS. Other than that? Have fun, most of the national parks from CO west are awesome. I wouldn’t bother with the Dakota’s/Idaho. You’ll spend an hour or two in each park and then be obsessed with speeding to the next one… over the next 10 hours. Basically the North West sucks other than Washington State.

So, we pushed the trip back a few days. We are going to leave Monday AM instead. I’m probably going to start a photoblog like tumblr or some other 16 year old hipster girl equivalent. Had Swiderski fix everything that was bound to fail on the trip, so I’m crossing my fingers that it doesn’t act like a typical VW for the next few thousand miles. Will update again soon.

Yeah, we’re going to spend a lot of time on the west coast, I think we also might do Mexico for a day… That could be when my posts stop completely.

Bill has AAA. If the hitch-hikers put out, I might have to pick them up. And, the hair stays.

Sounds like a plan.

Haha, I’m hoping it breaks down 4 or fewer times.

Going to take pictures of my testicles in every state and sext you.

Bueme gave me a lecture on this the other day. Sounds like a good time, unfortunately I won’t have a motorcycle to follow in your footsteps.

Some good insight. I think I’m kinda scared of speeding in states where some backwards sheriff will pull me over and spread my cheeks with his cock for having NY plates. What is this about the MOAB roads?

im pretty sure bueme has never driven on that road…