custom fiberglass work?...i got an idea

i want to do this to my car
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/582000-582999/582468_156_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/660000-660999/660540_110_full.jpg

http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=161

its the Hawks 5inch camaro spoiler. basically a 2inch longer version of the stock piece that i have.

problem is that it is 300 bucks for that shit and i find that NOT worth it at all when i have lots of other things to do to the car.

i was talkin to a friend on another forum, who has been thru autobody school and he says you could make that with fiberglass…and he got me thinkin. i could pick up another stock piece for 30 bucks, and do the work. i just dont know entirely how. i been reading on it and he gave me a few pointers. i gotta somehow dowel it or make a frame out of sticks ontop of the old stock piece, wrap it in some kinda of cloth, then use resin and fiberclass cloth to form the shape i want. 3-4 layers should work. then let dry and bondo the form for support and surface finish. sand it down and i should have my wing

is this about right? what do yall think? any advice on this is appreciated or anyone that really knows there stuff that could do this for me is awesome too

with all the work and the pain in the ass that fiberglass is, id pay the $300

seriously its worth to pay. no body is going ot do it cheap since youll have money into it.

is it really that hard to pull that wing off? just by doin like i described…with the dowels, a frame and resin/cloth?

youre an engineer you should know how long it should take. and yes its not worth that effort to make it when you can buy it

youre an engineer you should know how long it should take

lol, it all goes back to the “engineers dont have no experience” thing…i have none in fiberglass…seen my dad do it before that it LOL but shit, i might as well give it a shot

i’d rather do my Lt1 intake conversion for that 300 bucks

I would pay.

That looks amazing on the mullet mobile :slight_smile:

I would pay.

That just looks like a pain in the ass to make.

Thats different… I don’t know much about fiberglass, but I’m guessing just getting that long of a piece smooth and even would be a pita…

I agree with this guy, that would most likely turn out to be very wavy.

thats what i was thinking…it all depends on how much time and effort i spend on gettin the base smooth when i apply the fiberglass stuff… then bondo over top of everything to make a layer and sand that down smooth…i think if i could get the base the right shape, the fiberglass part should go smoothly. its just creating the shape i need first…i got two ideas that i might just try.

why do you want a bigger wing anyways?

making it would not be hard, making it as nice as the 300 dollar piece, will be. you’ll have way more than 300 dollars of your time into setting it up, doing it, then trying to sand it just right.

hmm maybe it will take long…oh well, i might still try it

i want the slightly bigger wing just to enhance the looks…its more agressive, more like the actual IROC series racing cars

:mullet:

dont be jealous:finger:

I started doing this to my stock wing on my Si. Go with the advice and buy it if you are really going for that look. First off making the skeleton for it is more difficult than it seems. Well, let me rephrase that - making it straight and even is more difficult than it seems. Then there is the matter of stretching the cloth over it. If you skeleton is not perfect - the cloth is even worse. Then adding the layers of resin makes it suprisingly heavy if you add layers to straighten any imperfections. By the time you buy resin, gloves, cloth, dowel rods, a spare stock peice (if you chose not to use yours), sand paper of various grits, etc, etc… it adds up.

$.02

http://www.blazinlow.com/s10blazed/wing01.jpg
Thats the skeleton I started for it. I don’t have any pics after that though.

By the time you buy resin, gloves, cloth, dowel rods, a spare stock peice (if you chose not to use yours), sand paper of various grits, etc, etc… it adds up.

i couldnt imagine it would cost upwards of over 100-120 dollars but i never bought the stuff. your right tho, gettin it straight would be hard

just lookin at the stock piece and the angle it shoots off at, to get that 5inch spoiler look, i’m gonna have to raise it a few degrees and then extend it. which in itself, could be a hard task.

the dowel rods/sticks idea would be great but hard…i’d have to drill the holes into the stock piece all at the same angle to get the angle of the new wing

then cloth it up then add those layers.

and to think, i didnt want to attempt to do it while its on the car… lol but it would have to be done that way. the more i think about it, the more i am considering buying it. but i like the challenge of trying it…and if i can find the stuff for the right price, i might go for it

another idea i was considering but not 100% sure it would work is using Foam…that spray on stuff that dries hard. i heard of ppl using that stuff for stereo enclosures.

i could then dowel rod the frame for support for the foam…add the foam, carve/sand it down to near the shape, then add my fiberglass resin/layers. then bondo to shape it down

Even paying retail price for the materials (assuming you don’t have some of it laying around even) you won’t pay more than $150. Like you said, $100 is more reasonable but what’s your time worth? This won’t be a day or two project - especially if you are not real familiar with fiberglass forming. The time you would spend making this you could spend working some overtime or odd jobs and just go buy one. But if you give it a try I wish you luck.