custom intake

hello ppl… i just discovered son240sx :slight_smile: so far it’s kewl… anyways, i’m thinking of makin custom intake, relocatin battery to the trunk and placing the filter where the battery sits. i’ve figured out what parts i’m gonna need, just need a lil help to where i can purchase these parts.

1. intake adapter & filter <- if i purchase from ebay, mofos charge $33 for s&h to canada for an $8 filter and adapter. so is there a place here in GTA where i can purchase this?
  2. piping that i’m looking for is, i guess 2" diameter and 45 degree bent mendrel pipe, that’s about 1.5 ft long… right? soooo home depot?

has anyone done this? and if so, please post a pic and some desc about it… thanx

You’ll be able to get piping from home depo, or go to any exhaust shop and tell them exactly what you need.
the adapter you can pick up from Nissan, there’s a universal one that requires a bit of drilling to match the MAF bolts or you can spring an extra few bux and get the 240 one, either way it workx.
As for the cone, go to Canadina tire and pick whatever you want (don’t use APC cause it’s crap, best bang for the buck is K&N).

DRE

Go to a muffler shop and get a pice bent out of 3" mild steel

3" is way too big for a 2.4L I-4, 2.5 or 2.25" is perfect.

-yeah, i’m thinking 2.5" diameter. what about the length of the pipe? and can you suggest a muffler shop that’d be “more than happy” to do this bending and cuttin, and not charge an arm 'n leg? where’s a meineke around here? i’m new to sauga… used to live in scTown :slight_smile:

about the adapter, you said i can get a universal one, so nissan dealer should have that or are you referring to ones on ebay? cuz the ones on ebay charge $30 s&h on a $3 product to ship to canada :x

-yeah i was at cdn tire and found a nice k&n cone for about $76… i wouldn’t go for anythin else, have had good experience with k&n in the past.

I am using Tenzo R right now and it was half the price as that K&N.

where’d you get it from?

\

and half the quality

tenzo’s not THAT bad :?:

should i just get all the parts at once from pdm-racing. their prices seem ok… is there another place where i can get those silcone connectors? checkout www.pdm-racing.com and see under miscellaneuos parts

Tenzo IS that bad, how do you know its not? may as well leave it stock.

K&N is quality product, but its not pimp. Its just quality product. HKS/Apex/Greddy/Blitz, quality product, and JDM pimp :lol:

aight, kewl sasha, tenzo bad, K&N good :stuck_out_tongue: i’m getting K&N neways
now what about the silicone connectors that i wanna use to connect to the intake manifold? can i get those from like plubming section at cdn tire?

u can get rubber ones at home depot, but not silicone. Also make sure u dont place the mafs too close to the filter or the TB. At least i’d say 7-8inches from the TB, and 2-3 inches from the Filter. I Know the adapter goes right on the mafs, but try to make some sort of spacer, because the air isn’t totally smooth yet as it comes out of the filter. Try to use a straight peice of bent stainless (bling factor :P) or mild steel, but not plastic from homedepot, it has lots of edges etc inside and it wont flow air that well…

what should be the length of the mendrel pipe? i’m gonna buy the stuff this saturday so please help me with my last question :slight_smile:

Why not install Individual TB’s and spare the filter?

Get the Blitz Aluminium Filter.

install individual Throttle Body? mmm how to do that :? explain please

one other question i had… if i decide to put the maf onto the air filter without the maf adapter (i know some ppl have done that), is there any modification required on the MAF? i know the maf on my '90 240 bolted directly onto the K&N cone filter. i guess this question is directed to sasha, but anyone can help me out here :slight_smile:

i went to home depot and all i was able to find was pvc pipes. i guess i should try meineke or midas eh?
any other store suggestions? know any private shops in mississauga area?

Zoro Muffler @ Dundas/Stansfield. Past Dundas/Dixie but before Dundas and Cawthra.

You can use PVC piping, i did for my intake extension. It provides a good seal, it isn’t very pimp, but it works and gets the job done, not to mention its cheap. you can buy a maf adapter at auto salon in pacific mall, i paid $25 for mine, and $28 for my cone filter with an intake (some generic rip off). I replace my cone filter every year, so i don’t mind the cheap stuff.

ok man… screw this. i spent like 6 hours today… 3 hrs shoppin around for stuff and the 3 hours tryin to figure out the stupid little things.

first off, it’s almost impossible to find wiring to relocate the battery to the trunk. cdn tire is crap and has no good stuff.

i was gonna put little breather filters in front of the 3 pipes that are currently plugged into the plastic pipe, but the breather filters are like $16.99 at cdn tire!!! what a rip off… in the states they’re like $3!
so i don’t know what i’m gonna do with the pipes. maybe put little nipples on the stainless steel exhaust pipe that i got from midas, but that’ll be hard to do.

anyways, the amount of money all this would cost me, i’d rather just get an aem or injen. for now, i’m keepin the apc filter that i bought ( $38 ) and gonna buy a maf adapter.

grey_gandalf, the maf adapter is $$$ wtf!? if it’s $25-28 at pacf mall, i wonder what the nissan dealers are sellin it for.

man… i’m dishearted. i really thought this wasn’t a big deal but it turned out to be a pain. i’m gonna go return all the stuff and just hook up the stupid apc. hope that’s gonna give me better sound and mileage. grey_gandalf, do you get nicer sound from cheap filter than you did from that ugly stock setup?