Proper air intake installation.

hey guys when i bough my car the cone filter was jsut stuck on right past the mafs. i dont think that does anything really maybe even reduce the air flow from stock…

as i read up online and been told by many, in order to make the air intake actually perform better, you need a bigger, fatter pipe, and a good cone, not some canadian tire shit cone.

i was at some stores selling piping and im wondering what diameter is best, alot of them have 3 inch, i saw some 4 inch piping but its more pricey, and the mafs hole is pretty small after all, i was thinking if its necessary to get a bigger mafs (i dont think so ?) and where to get a big (truck size) K&N filter ? (the longer cones)

Converting the stock airbox to just a cone is a decent change…and a cheap one too. Put a stock airbox back on and you’ll know what I mean. A cone flows way more than a stock air filter & box.

Piping will do little to nothing, just leave it how it is, just make sure the MAF is well-attached to the MAF adaptor etc, and you certainly won’t need to change your MAF.

Best improvement on what you’ve got would be to shield the cone and/or let it see cooler air.

IMHO, anyway…

hmm thats what i have right now, stock pipe, maf, adapter to round, rubber boot with the little sensor attached to it, than adapter to 4.5inch cone inlet, than cone, than ram air pipe that goes through where the oem resonator box was and down to near the foglights with a little scoop to bring cold air, helped in the summer, but now does nothing.

i still want a pipe though, looking at the stock design with the way its flexible, the ripples in the pipe for sure disturb airflow, the stock pipe would be ok if it was shorter, but since its so long its a different story. anyway, i know you can get a 3 piece pipe, (1. 90 degrees 4inch radius with nipples for the idler hoses; 2. straight, 3; S bend; 2 rubber boots) all in 4inch for about 100 bucks, and buy a pickup truck-sized K&N cone, that would probably cost another 100 bucks, so than 200 dollar intake if you are going all motor, especially if you got high compression pistons, bigger injectors, and a nice exhaust, i think this would make some difference.

That’s crap for all motor, to be honest. Go on ebay, get a set of Suzuki GSXR throttlebodies. Will cost you about 100USD + shipping. Then you’ve gotten rid of your awful stock intake manifold and have four throttlebodies instead of one, so you don’t have to wank around with an intake manny. Just grab 4 appropriately sized cones, shove them on each throttlebody and go.

Edit: And as an aerospace engineer, I will personally slap the next person that mentions ram-air in reference to a car. Unless you’re moving somewhat close to mach 1, you’re just using the term incorrectly :lol:

lol, lets call ram-air a ‘cold air supply’ from now on lol

official ricer thread of the day

theres nothing wrong with letting your engine breath better, i can hear and feel it at open throttle when im beating it on track, obviously not as good as turbo but it does make the difference for N/A, better hope some angry ricers doesnt crash into you for saying that haha :wink: