Daily Operation Part II: '94 BMW 525i (E34)

Sup everyone…

I may be mad far away in the PI but that doesn’t mean I can’t find an M50 powered something to bore y’all about!

Although it literally took me almost a year to find because all the 3 series BMWs here have like 4 cylinder engines with like 100 hp.

Weak…

Then again, I’ve been driving a CRV for almost a year… Another year of that and I’d probably be ready for a 100 hp 3er (and a lobotomy).

To be fair, you can find a 6 cylinder Bimmer but like 95% of them come with an autotragic. Being an import, all BMWs (even used) are expensive as well. I saw a listing for a '95 E36 M3, selling for the equivalent of $20k USD. Uhhh no thanks! But that’s how any E36 M3 would be priced.

A couple of weeks ago I came across a fellow enthusiast here parting with his 525i… White with blue interior, and most importantly the good ol’ Getrag 250 between the flywheel and the driveshaft!!

Damn I know I make a big deal out of it but after having seen about 15 listings for either a 325i or 525i, ALL of them automatic, I was beginning to think they just didn’t exist out here!

Long story short, I drove the car to make sure it was pretty solid (although any car would seem “solid” compared to the my old 325i)

See original “Daily Operation”: http://shift518.com/showthread.php?t=7690

Thing is actually in great shape! Zero rust (of course, we average 80 deg F year round with no snow , no road salt out here… Just road craters that will eat a lifted F150 alive, traffic that makes NYC seem like child’s play, and expensive gasoline!!)

The E34 has good paint, is mechanically solid, A/C works perfect (important with the heat and humidity!!), no odd clunks, no leaks around the engine, and suspension bushings were ok too. OBC works, everything except for the outside temperature gauge. Which is fine, 'cause I could just put an 80 F handwritten sticky on that and it would be right 99% of the time.

So of course I picked it up!

Here’s the car!

Pics after a good cleaning!

Here are the near term plans for my baller build (yo)-

1. Clean the car in and out
  2. Peek underneath and see if the diff has a S, on it (LSD)
  3. Fill the washer fluid reservoir
  4. Replace radio and speakers (some kind of alien howling going on, I think the deck’s done)

For later-
Diff replacement - 3.64 or 3.46, maybe a 3.64 from an E32!
Suspension - upgraded struts / lowering springs to get ride of the floaty ride
Sway bars - E34 M5 sways?!
Engine - well would love to see a little more power at some point

Will write more later, gotta head out soon!

Payce!

Nice find.

Welcome back!

How you liking it? The car that is, you probably love the place.

By size how would this compare to the e36?

IMO, they aren’t a TON bigger than an e36, but they feel like they are due to the “floaty” suspension… nice find! you don’t see clean e34’s much at all anymore… where is the “PI”?

yay archiepost

looks good, keep in mind you’d probably be getting the Euro M3 over there. Much different animal. worth the premium!

Philippines- I live here now…

Steering not as nice as on the E36, I know it has a recirc type rack- that and the 53 turns lock to lock just don’t jive together… Size wise better for me and the family.

I can feel the weight though (maybe 200 lbs extra?!) Car sure is sluggish to get to 3k RPM. From 4k or so seems to move along OK.

Really think a higher final would help this car. 3.64 LSD is what I’m thinking, if I can find one off an E32. The diff will probably have to travel at least 6000 miles though to get to my car. No parts cars with that equipment anywhere in sight!!

Thanks dude… Cars were imported from the US and/or Germany. You’re right, there are Euro M3s available here- priced at like $25k or more… The lowest priced one I saw was a beat '95 but from the US, so OBDI but with 240 hp S50… This E34 was actually imported from Germany. The cluster is all in km/h, there’s no sunroof, and there are mini-ashtrays in the rear doors, or maybe all E34s have that!?

nice e34!

considering buying one to replace current daily

Go for it man! My E34 was a ginormous piece of shit but it was a great car. Ran great, drove great and was a lot of fun! Only reason i dont have it anymore is because the guy that sold it to me royally fucked me over, partially my fault and I just couldent be driving around a ghetto mobile or see myself putting money in it to fix it

Aite so here in the Philippines the Land Transportation Office (LTO) keeps track of not only VIN but also the “engine” number… The VIN is like manually etched on to a piece of paper that is submitted to keep a record of your car.

As for the engine number some dude actually reaches down to the side of your block with a long a$$ stick thing and etches the engine block number onto another form.

So yes, if you swap engines, you gotta show a bunch of paperwork for the “swapped” engine and note it down in your registration and all that the car’s engine block number was changed at some point.

Too many forms man but that’s what ya gotta do to get the car reg’d.
Here’s the BMW getting the etching done

YES! I just love to have the $hit scratched out of my paint! More please!! (And I paid them for this?!)

WTF seems ridiculous