Daily German POS.. E34 525i

So as of yesterday I am now the owner of a 1990 BMW 525i. I have been talking to the guy for about a week about this car, sent me pictures etc, looked pretty clean and was asking 2500 for it. Well he brought it buy and it was deffinately in worse condition that what the pictures showed, not by much but enough for me to knock down 1200 on the price off the bat, a part of the rear quarter got buckled while the were transporting it, along with a piece of the front splitter on the bottom of the front bumper getting torn off, also has a few dents/nicks that did not show up in the picture.

Interior is pretty mint, some shit was cobbed from whoever had it before and had a stereo installed, some of the panels are screwed in with sheet metal screws, and then the wood trim placed over it, not to big of a deal but some of it isnt lined up perfectly. Need to figure out the mess of wiring where the raido used to be.

Car runs like a beast, motor sounds great aside from a light tick from the solid lifters, adam confirmed this for me which made me feel a little better. Needs a little TLC

On my own fault there was some thing I should have checked that I did not, and I said it as soon as I went back inside and talked to my dad.

Things the car needs to be 100% operational

-Full Tune Up
-New Clutch Fan (this ones making some noise)
-New Rear tires
-New Climate Control unit (never checked it before he left FML)
-Fix the cable for the reclining seats.

After that my only real plans with the car are to have the small dings in the body fixed and have a buddy of mine paint it, not a supreme paint job just something decent.

Also going to slowly start piecing together the little shit it needs, such as a few new lighting switches as a few are worn out, the few trim pieces that are missing etc…

If the thing dident run as good as it did I would not have bought it, to be honest I probably overpaid for the car, but as long as it runs solid, i think im going to have a lot of fun driving it, and doing a little restoration on it.

Only pic I have at the moment, won’t take more until it’s cleaned up :rofl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Shady195/25605610_1X1.jpg

You’re beater is better than your not-beater.

just saying.

I actually agree with you :rofl

pics!

cool pics, brah.

added a pic

I’ll take more once I get it on the road and cleaned :lol

I was watching this on ebay Looks solid I was gonna bid but he took it off before the auction ended. Good luck with it hope its good to ya…

This was on ebay?

Dude was nice as hell, but he completely gave me some BS about the car. Told me some backstory about how it was his this and that, bla bla bla.

Regardless the car was at an auction place down in Long Island, idk if it was his previously like he said, but hes the one that put it in the auction and pulled it out early.

yup he had it on ebay and craigslist. Miles are skewed from the carfax report. It shows 195k on 7/10 however the miles he said it had was 130k so deff sketchy there… Not bad for the money though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140516310804&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

lol why would you buy that

Yeah I carfaxed it. I was really skeptical… but like I said it runs great, motor makes no noise except a veyr light lifter tick, sounds smooth all the way up to ~6 grand.

The car actually seems mechanicly like it was taken care of, then again these motors from what I can tell/have heard are damn near bulletproof providing you change the oil and do a timing belt once in awhile :lol

Cheap beater daily

that I will slowly go through, make it look clean and enjoy driving.

I need something to keep me busy until I can finish the Z :lol

You shouldnt have any problems with it and if you do for the money you couldnt beat it. I sold one in worse condition for $1500 around the time I bought my E36 and it sold without question quickly so if it becomes more than you can handle you should be able to get what you got into it. Im sure you will be very happy with it and welcome to bimmer world lol.

Its worthy I actually think he got a good deal on it…

The good:

The car runs smooth, did a tune up on it and beat on it in my neighborhood for 4 miles without an hiccup or an issue. Runs great, abotu the only saving grace to this fucking mess I got myself in

The bad:

Upon really looking over everything while doing the tune up, the shit for whatever reason I did not notice when I looked at the car the first time.

Car was deff in a front end collision. Doesnt look bad, but the bottom of the bumper support is a little fucked. need a new front bumper/trim pieces around the grill and headlights. I dident see them the first time when I looked but they were screwed back in place and the grill is held by coathanger

Pissers on the hood need to be hooked back up, im guessing from this collision the hood was replaced as to why its black, need to buy all new hoses/reconnect and splice the wires.

Radiator needs the retaining clips replaced, the radiator is bolted to the front support NOT OEM style on one side and zip tied on the other… Can’t belive I dident fucking notice that. It’s secure but its not right and i dont like it one bit

It mostly seems like cosmetic bullshit thats wrong with the car, structurly its sound, but this is all stuff I can’t belive I did not notice when i first looked at it. Probably because the dude woudlent stop fucking talking i wanted to drive it, get a feel for it and get him the fuck off my property.

needless to say I learned myself a bit of a lesson. but to be honest im kind of excited to have something I have some motivation to work on.

Ordered all the front trim/grills from GAP

Only cost like 50 bucks :lol

http://realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/v/g/4.png

Now I just gotta try and score a front bumper assembly locally and ill be all set

Alright… THis thing is more of a POS then I could ever have imagined

Basicly not going to try to really fix it liek I was planning, wouldent make sense

Things to do

1. Adjust Lifters - Sounds like a flock of angry woodpeckers under my hood cruising at 3k on i90

2. T-belt/waterpump/other belts etc

3. Find front driver side fender, completely kicked mine in, also need to find new hood

4. Find new front bumper assembly

5. Paint body Satin Olive green much like SRS BZNS scoob

6. Misc suspension stuff to make sure I wont die, along with slamming it on cheapy Nexus? I think thats what they are Coilovers

7. Have Mr Wood sandblast and paint stock wheels white

Have a slammed satin olive green e34 on white stockers

should look pretty good for what a POS the thing is.

I wanna paint it…

I knoww Matt… I may say Fuck it and do all the panels that are good… I mean the hood/driver fender and bumper will still be silver and ugly but hey whatever

Finish the Z and just daily this.

Care to loan me a few grand to do so?