Detailing Products

After the winter, the leather looks a bit worn in the seats, around the windows, dashboard, and console so looking to give it a good cleaning as the weather warms up.

Anyone have suggestions for cleaning the inside with products to look for and avoid for leather? With the multiple materials, trying to find the best way to go about the more fabric parts, the plastic trim, and the leather.

What about engine cleaning? So much dust and not sure if a hose to it would do the trick or if there is a better step to go about it to clean up the internals under the hood.

Ive used simple green for the engine bay. Safe and works well. For the tough spots just let it sit and soak in

Favorite for leather:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34823[/ATTACH]

For trim and plastics I typically use vinylex or even pledge.

Engine bay, I just typically blast off quickly, don’t really use any chemicals, wipe off by hand everything I can and take the car for a long hot ride after to dry out the bay.

I woudn’t use Simple Green, it’s not PH neutral and can be harmful to rubber hoses, plastics, and even aluminum. It sounds like you could use a good All Purpose Cleaner, such as P21s Total Auto Wash, Optimum OptiClean, or a Meguiars product. For interior, I use 10:1 distilled water/P21s, and use it on leather, dash, carpet, fabric seats, headliner, and plastics. Agitate with a paint brush or other soft brush, then wipe clean with a microfiber towel. Then you’ll want to use a leather protectant like Lexol on the leather after cleaning. For the engine bay, an APC 3;1 should be a good choice. Wet down the engine first. It’s probably a good idea to cover up the battery and alternator with a plastic bag, but most cars are fine without. Just use a hose with a mist, not a direct jet or pressure washer. Then spritz down with APC, use various brushes to agitate any dirt and grime, then rinse and dry with microfiber towels, compressed air, etc.

All of what I said above is what professional detailers use, and cheap/easy enough for anyone to use.

Simple green +bottle brush + misting nozzle + tin foil on electrical components/intake:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Motocrossx23/6EFFCDBF-AA9D-403E-B389-5EB0AD75E60D.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Motocrossx23/fc13e5dc-031e-4ab4-a9aa-292696abb9ee.jpg

Once it’s cleaned, I used tire shine (non-foaming) and sprayed the bay down, wiping any excess with a rag.

Tire shine is also not the best solution because it attracts dirt. A product like 303 Aerospace Protectant will give shine, while repelling dust and dirt.

303 > *

I just don’t have much left and didn’t want to waste it. The tire shine has held up really well, I use it sparingly anyways.

Lexol also makes a vinyl conditioner if there are any faux-leather parts you’re looking to hit. Lexol products rock!

I have never once cleaned the engine bay on any of my vehicles.

On the interior I just use Armor All no-shine / neutral cleaner. Forgot what I use for leather off-hand.

+1 for any of the products neonglh mentioned. I use the Megs APC mixed in varying concentrations depending on the job.

Leatherique makes an awesome (but $$) product for leather if its in need of a good conditioning / cleaning.

Dan

There is some armor all leather cleaner/conditioner products that seem to have some high reviews. Interesting thoughts in the engine bay. Only reason I thought to do it was I went into the dealer and when they popped the hood was like OH DEAR GOD. Leaves, dust, dirt, everything possible up in there so at least want to start with cleaning some of the plastics up.

For Engine Bays I use a targeted diluted Simple Green Solution allowed to soak for a few mins; followed by general cleaning with Chemical Guys Mr Pink through a foam-gun; followed by Chemical Guys Silk Shine Dressing applied with an applicator sponge for the plastics/rubber.

Leather - I was using the Meguiers’ stuff, and it worked pretty well, but I’m looking for something better now.