Diesel Question?

On turbocharged diesels, they do not require any type of bypass valve (Blow off valve) because of the lack of a throttle body correct? I tried looking it up and I couldn’t find my answer.

I do believe that is correct. I read about it on the Jetta/Passat TDI webpage, but I can’t remember where it is right now…

thats correct

Yeah there is no throttle plate.

danke

For the most part correct …

Diesel’s do not have throttle plates … However … depended on how much boost and the size of the turbo you are running, you may want to use a blow off valve or a pressure release valve to decrese turbo shaft damage from surging. Im sure you are all familair with turbo surge …

On a diesel motor … If all that boost is suddenly shut down (powershifting, heavy throttle lift, etc …) that boost has no where to go, but back threw the turbo itself, and out of the air box. This is turbo surge or more commenly known as “turbo bark” in the diesel world. It will let out a “woof woof woof woof” sound that decends from loud to quieter. The charger on my truck will surge pretty easy now if I let it … (with more tuning I am now pushing 50psi) … But I can drive around it more or less … I try not to let off quickly and I can shift fast without it surging. But if I am running it hard and into heavy boost (30psi+) and a car or something pulls in front of me … It will surge. Any other questions please feel free to ask.

-Mike

will you have sex with me???

and ontopic i know alot of the tractors that my work works on dont have blow off valves or anything that does the same. and theya re running alot of boost also in the big cat/detroit diesel motors.

WTF was that about?

i love diesels and anyone that has one with more then 1K of tq i admire…

a bunch of my buddies did a dyno day down at speednation a few weeks ago but the dyno was acting up and they were only puttin down 400tq with a new dodge with a chip and full exhaust and should have been pushin 800+ tq i got some video but its in another one of my friends truck right now. i should have it this weekend

Oh … Well I guess I should say thank you … lol

Im a huge diesel fan myself … I have my 96 12 valve … Built my dads 03 up pretty nice (around 350-370h.p since he wanted to stay on the conservitive side) … have a 01 24valve thats a work truck

If your ever around Cal … swing up …

I have a few questions.

what are signs of a bad turbo.
what causes sparks to fly from the exhaust after idling and then press on the fuel?

[QUOTE=JimmaY;492970]I have a few questions.

what are signs of a bad turbo.
what causes sparks to fly from the exhaust after idling and then press on the fuel?[/QUOTE
Oil Smoke out of no where just suddenly starts to smoke then is continuous. Also if it sits for a couple days +, and when you first run it it wont boost untill it warms up or untill you blow all the dried oil (coke) out of the bearings.

Oil Smoke out of no where just suddenly starts to smoke then is continuous. Also if it sits for a couple days +, and when you first run it it wont boost untill it warms up or untill you blow all the dried oil (coke) out of the bearings.

Check the bearings on your turbo … Pull your intake hose off, and grab the turbo shaft. Move it up/down, left/right. Some play up/down, left/right is ok since the shaft is “floating” … But just a little bit of play. ANY in or out play is a sure tale sign of the bearings going bad.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
-Mike