Disgruntled worker deletes millions in files

#1, the company is just stupid for having all copies accessible to a single employee.

#2, where was their off site storage?

#3, lol @ the beat cop knowing more about data protection than the companies IT staff.

At least she didn’t run like disk boot and nuke or something.

$2.5 million for 7 years worth of arch. drawings?
It must be a very small firm with no IT people.

Bitches…

“And here’s the most sobering part: the owner of the architecture firm says Marie Cooley was not going to be fired. He says the job listing was for his wife’s business – not his.”

Most small and businesses consider IT an unecessary evil and spend as little as possible. I bet their “server” was an HP or Dell desktop.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796999&highlight=raid#post796999
FTW.:slight_smile:

That really blows.

And wtf? no off site storage? retarded.

lol

It’s not even the off site storage part because a lot places don’t do that…

but at least a tape back up…

hell, if they are solely an architechural firm + averaging $350k / year over 7 years of business… they were either: not very big (volume wise), or not very good. :lol:

Yeah, the last place I worked didn’t do it, and their main data center was in south florida. I still remember watching them panic trying to get data pushed to our Buffalo datacenter over a VPN with a cat 5 hurricane heading straight for them. The hurricane was going to hit in 15 hours and the copy was going to be complete in 28. :lol:

:tup: to thinking ahead. They lucked out and the storm turned last minute.

^At that point wouldn’t it be easier to just take the server with you?:biglaugh:

Fuckin a right, i restore files at least twice a week… If i didnt have that we would be wasting hundreds aof man hours with people re creating their files.

I just run my users with terror…

If I have to restore something they hear a 30min lecture about it :slight_smile:

So they are careful before they delete.

you are so leet <3

More often then not i have the person who thinks they are super efficient by having several excel windows open and overwrites the wrong file… Ugh!! but its job security right?

MOVE!

We keep ~10,000 files on a server from 1997.
It’s been running 24/7/365 since then.
That server is the key to our ISO.

I did finally get corporate to upgrade… now it will be offsite and
probably slower :frowning:

Except it was a critical server, and any down time = lost clients.

And yes, the last company I worked for was retarded.