DIY - Painted rims

This is the first time I have ever really painted anything by myself so I gave it the old college try. I picked up a set of Acura RSX rims to throw some snow tires on and dediced to paint them black. Since I found about 50 different ways to do it online, this is the one I went with.

1. Scrubbed the wheels with simple green and a brush and then washed off with soap and water.

2. Scuffed the wheels with 3M scouring pads until they were nice and dull.

3. Washed the wheels again with soap and water and put them in the paint booth on 130 and let them bake dry.

4. Once they were dry I hit them with two coats of scratch filler primer and let them bake again for about 30 minutes.

5. When that was done I sprayed them with flat black duplicolor paint. I really tried to avoid runs and splatters but the later I stayed the worse it got. I sprayed 3 coats of black on the rims and thought that was good enough.

6. Turned the oven on again and let them cure for another half hour before spraying them with clear.

I am pretty happy with how they came out but I give myself about a 5/10 for a first time paint job. It could have been a lot better but I lost interest about half way through. Good enough for winter wheels and I will get some pics up of them on the car as soon as they are done getting mounted.

nice, looks like krinkle paint in the pic

is the final picture the finished product?
Did you use a paint gun? Spray cans?

wait. is that last pic the final result?

i dont think so, i think the final pic will be on the car?

I don’t know, The 5/10 part is making me think that is the finished product.

lol jeez thats a lot of effort for a lackluster result. Most of the wheels I’ve done I don’t even bother sanding them down anymore. Just spray two coats of sandable auto primer, then two coats of paint and two coats of clear and they come out perfect.

Maybe you need to do another coat of color and/or some clear… it doesn’t even look like they are fully covered in paint?

What are people’s obsessions with black wheels, I’ll never get it? They looked so much better before you did anything to them, sorry…

I kind of want to paint my rims… but the stock 18’s seem like they would be a total bitch todo…

I would only paint them if I got a second set of rims and I would use the current ones as my track rims

What was the temp in the room you sprayed it in? Looks like it was sprayed in a 40ish degree room.

last pic looks like clear hasnt dried.

Paint can was too far from the rim and you don’t have enough paint on it either.

wow that looks terrible

so you have access to a paint booth but not to anyone to show you how to do it for real? lolz

+1

Is that the final product?

Alright I know I suck. They def needed more paint and some smoother clear but whatever. I learned a few things and they dont look too bad from far.

well they look good on the car :tup:

yea, can’t see em at 55mph. lol

sorry, was not trying to be a dick, just for next time you do it :stuck_out_tongue: