DIY: Temporary home-made Ignitor Harness

So since NOBODY carries the harness i need separate from the ptu, i had to do something about it myself to hold me off until i can find a good used ptu with harness online somewhere…or find the time to take it to innovative to have it just bypassed, and have the ignitor chip (aka PTU) wired directly to the EFI harness…

I’m really nervous about wiring, but i figured, this part was garbage, and rather than just throwing it out, why not try to use it…

so first i started taking shit apart, and wrote down what wires went where to and from the clips and the ptu…

i bought 6 different color wires on my way home, and knew i had black wire already at home…a lot easier than working with all black, that’s for damn sure…

i also realized when i got home that the wiring i got was a bit thicker than the original harness, but no biggie…just made things more snug :tup:

in carefully taking out the prongs from the back of each clip…i made a few mistakes on the first clip, but the other 3 went pretty easy…

even more frustrating/time consuming than carefully taking each prong out of the clips without breaking anything (which isn’t easy to do on 16 year old brittle plastic clips…with the pressure of not being able to replace them) was carefully prying open each of the prongs with a razor, and carefully removing the old, thin, worn, exposed, shitty wiring…not that bad for the first few, but 26 prongs later i was annoyed as shit…

next i cut all the wires to equal length, and taped them all together so as to match the wiring on the stock harness, but with about an extra 4 to 6 inches on each side, so i’d have more room to mount the PTU away from the engine, away from as much heat as possible, since heat was the downfall of the original style PTU that nissan had to recall…

i finally got everything back together after tons of back tracking, re-taping, etc…and when all was said and done, wires started to pop out of the one clip…the first one i messed up on a bit…i must have broken the part in the clip that holds the wires secure within it…damit…

luckily, the wires are much thicker and sturdier than the originals…and found a way to put the PTU on the car so that there’s constant pressure pushing those wires inward, toward the clip…the only way they’ll come out is if somebody tries and pulls them out…in which case, i can just stick them back in again…it would take one hell of a bumpy road, worse than i’ve ever seen around here…to even come close to potentially popping one of those wires out, so i think i’m all set…

paranoia sets in…i remember second guessing myself toward the beginning…i started to take wires out of one of the clips i remember…and wasn’t sure if i put them back in the right order, or accidentaly reversed…no turning back now, only way to know is to try it out…

now it’s time to go outside, and try it out…it’s almost 3AM, and i respect my cool neighbors too much to start a loud car while they sleep, especially since it may be louder than usual if there’s something wrong…so i hook it up, and go to bed, and get no sleep because i’m constantly wondering if my first DIY will work…

this morning before school, i have some time…so i go to my car, take a few deep breaths…look under the hood…everything still in place, looking good…get in, try to start it…and she starts right up :tup: sounding very happy…i rev it a bit, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, i’m happy…she’s happy…life is good…

i didn’t want to take a chance of getting stranded though somewhere since i had an interview a bit ago for an internship, so later tonight i’ll just one more time make sure everything’s snug, secure it down a bit more, make sure that one clip with wires potentially lose in the back isn’t moving anywhere…and take her out for a little rough-housing…see how it holds up

this is only temporary though…i’d still like to find a new stock one, i dont want to always have the thought in the back of my head that i have potentially lose wires under my hood, and the clips are old and brittle like i already said, so i’d like to replace them soon as well…

all in all though, i’m very proud of my first, and my first successful…DIY…as simple of a job as it may seem to most of you that do this kinda stuff on a regular basis :slight_smile:

:tup:

So does it run???

you should have gotten a soldering iron, it would have made things much better and given u piece of mind that the wires arent going to come apart.

ide say that if you did not solder them, you definitely need to get a new harness

asap

i have 2 soldering irons, but no solder…it’s on my to-do list…but yes, it runs, and it runs well…for 5 minutes at least it did…but like the first post read, i didnt want to take a chance of being stranded on my way to my internship interview…but i get out of here (work) at 10, and will go home to give it a test again when i get home, all the wires are very thick, and VERY stiff, and it’s not moving anywhere…so they wont come apart…nevertheless, i do plan on soldering it once i get some solder…that’s the only thing i forgot to buy from home depot last night…

regardless though…or rather, irregardless (:kiss: newman), that one clip is the only source of potential problems i’ve noticed/worry about…but like i said, the way i have it in there now, it’s not coming apart…

yeah ide say as long as its soldered, theres no real reason to get a new harness

u know, i think i used to have one of these subharnesses laying around from when i was trying to fix my z last summer. sadly i think i threw it out.

but i will look around, if i find it, ill give it to you. i feel your pain, good luck

So yeah, wanted to just make sure everything was snug today…and in the process of doing so, that one clip i fucked up came apart…and it wasn’t being salvaged this time…spent a lot of time soldering the prongs from the clip right to the wires, and i was just gonna wrap each in electrical tape, stick each one individually right onto the prongs sticking out of the PTU, and then fill it in with silicone to make sure there’s not jump from any one prong to the next, even though they’re all taped up…but before filling it in with the silicone i figured i should at least try it out again…so with dave (articzap) holding the ptu together, and everything else plugged in…

it started right up…but something just wasn’t right…at temp. idle for me is around 900 or 1000, and when cold it’s around 1200 or 1300 until it warms up…

my engine was cold, and idle was only around 600…sometimes dropping or raising 100…not as steady as i want it to be, and not where it should be/usually is…it was running really smoothe though, which confuses me…it didnt feel/sound like i was missing a cylinder…

it was too late and frustrating to keep going on though, so tomorrow i’ll just pull it off again, and see if any of the other prongs are unhappy with me now and being stubborn…

my current status: smothering sorrows in oatmeal creme pies…