Dodge 1500 Cummins - Should I buy in 2 yrs?

Seems like an interesting idea for a daily driver fro me. Set to launch in early 2010. Only thing I don’t like is no manual trans option - GAY!

5.0L diesel V-8. 25 MPG highway, 19 MPG city. The stats on the engine look pretty good. Nice flat torque curve - they’ve torque managed it big time.

I’m really interested. A lot will depend on the price. We should have a mule at work by spring or early summer. I can’t wait to drive it. Anybody else find this idea interesting?

I think its a great idea, every car should be able to be purchased in a diesel

I wish toyota would make the tacoma in a 4cly diesel

Since when has Cummins came out with a V-8? I’ll have to ask them when I go there tomorrow.

why not just make your own now? 4bt + a pre 95 clean chassis and you would be golden.

my dad had an '04 cummins 2500 with the v6. great truck and decent mileage for the size.

hilux.

Just not available in US

Will there even be fuel left in 2010?

v6? You should be ashamed of yourself for mentioning such things… :lol:

I wish I could say more about the engine and the truck but work would pwn me. :ham:

Early mid-90’s Dodge with 6bt is next on the vehicle aquisition list (unless the right gixxer comes along :slight_smile: )

Can you change a title from gas to diesel? I want to convert my 96 Ranger to diesel. I don’t have a problem with a MY96 compliant diesel, I just need the title info changed so I can get it inspected w/0 obdII. I don’t think it’s possible. I think I’d probably have to buy another older truck and do the title swap.

surprised cummins is going to a V8. they’re so good at L6’s. i do love the idea of small diesels in 1/2T trucks though. i wish GM would put a small diesel in the trailblazer, would buy one in a second.

Problem with all I6, diesel or otherwise, is weight and packaging. Don’t quote me but I think that Dodge is going to split the PU line in the next generation like Ford did in 97 i.e. different cab & body for 1/2 & 3/4 ton + thus I don’t think an I6 will fit in the new platform.

I don’t know about TB, they will have one in 1/2 ton PU and H2 and presumably tahoe/burban

that’s a pretty good idea for the dodge trucks actually.

ford had a V6 in the works, the 6.0L with two jugs chopped off slated for the expedition and f150 a couple years ago when i was still there, but it vibrated like hell and international couldn’t figure it out so they axed it. not sure if they have anything else on the horizon.

i know gm has plans of a small one in the 1/2T and full size suv’s. would be nice if they put it in the smaller stuff though.

Navistar builds the v6. It’s in the Ford LCF and it’s Navistar branded sister. The latest news I hear is the F-150 will get a detuned version (possibly single turbo) of the TT diesel V8 used in the Range Rover.

yea, navistar/international. they pissed ford off something fierce with the injection issues with the early 6.0L, also with the V6 based off the 6.0L. ford went and developed the TT 6.4L pretty much on their own because of it. there were also a couple small (3-5L range) TT V8’s ford had that i was working on a couple years ago, no idea where those stand anymore.

Id love a small turbo diesel v8 in a suv I <3 the sound

:tif:

Stick with what works, and just shave some weight off of it. I6s don’t have to weigh a shit load.

I do agree with diesels in 1/2 tons… but as far as towing goes, other things have to be considered with the smaller trucks… like suspension, brakes and the frames. They aren’t built to tow 20k and shouldn’t have the powerplant to do it

I-6’s don’t package well, that’s why they don’t like them. They also have a power-to-weight disadvantage. I-6 is also more diesel-like. The OE’s want these new engines to be more gas-like. A higher rpm v8 is more gasoline like than a slower revving I-6.

From the OE standpoint the engine doesn’t need to last forever. They want you to buy a new one in three years.

It’s not meant to be a tow vehicle. It’s meant to be everybody’s pickup with better mileage. It’s supposed to be “gasoline like” in how it drives and sounds.

You shouldn’t be towing 20,000 with any pickup. They build real trucks for that.

What are the whys and why-nots of the Sprinter’s power plant being used in the truck line?

From a buying perspective I would rather have an I-6 just because of the simplicity of working on one bank instead of two. Obviously that goes beyond the demographical buyer’s three year “cycle life”.

The new 4.5-liter diesel, which will wear the Duramax label, will deliver class-leading torque, power and refinement, the company says. In terms of environmental benefits, GM says the turbodiesel will boost efficiency by 25 percent while cutting carbon dioxide emissions by 13 percent and nitrogen oxide emissions by at least 90 percent.

The engine will produce more than 310 horsepower and 520 pound-feet of torque, along with class-leading refinement, the company adds.

I’ll take one…Regular Cab short bed 6 speed manual/auto thank you very much.

lol… that is nutts.

All out of 4.5L… Ford couldn’t get that out of a 7.3L.:frowning:

This is something I might be interested in. As long as it can run on WVO or 100% bio.

320 hp is way too much for a 1500 pickup. They’ll have to torque manage severely to make the driveline live. I wonder what the duty cycle is at 320 hp? Can’t be very good. About half that hp is about right.

Unfortunately there aren’t enough people out there sensible enough to drive a 160hp diesel pickup thus they wouldn’t dare build one today.