Recommend me the best diesel truck motor

I’ve decided to move onto a diesel truck I think. I’m trying to figure out which motor/tranny setup is going to be the all around best. I know the diesel guys have some specific preferences. I haven’t kept up on them and I know there are a lot of guys around that know a lot more than I do.

I’m looking at mid 2000’s King cabs down south. Any and all info is appreciated.

I think the one I have for sale is pretty stout. Ford F350 with Banks Six Gun tuner.

Get a 99-03 7.3 powerstroke, but good luck finding a clean one.

1qukz, shoot me a pm with info on your truck.

+1

almost every diesel motor has it’s positives and negatives. Anything somebody says will be a matter of opinion mixed with personal experience.

What is your budget? The main focus is get a diesel and try and get a warranty. Most of my diesel customers buy some sort of engine for life policy for 2-4k depending.

The 7.3 powerstroke diesel is pretty stout and proven but finding a clean one with reasonable miles is super expensive.
The 6.0 powerstroke can be hit or miss. Alot of them have Fuel injector issues, and head issues. But some people never have problems with them at all. ( 2006-2007 models go for low to mid 20’s now)
The 6.4 powerstroke came out in 2008 and has twin turbo’s. I have yet to hear any problems with that motor setup but it also hasn’t been around forever like the other models. (probably 29-35k)
The new powerstroke is a 6.7 twin turbo setup and is just silly power but 49k plus for a truck isn’t very reasonable.

The duramax has the 6.6 turbo and allison transmission. I have never heard of anyone having problems with it and it hasn’t changed to much over the past few years. In my opinion it seems to be very underpowered compared to the ford models.

Cummins, hands down.

Everything breaks, even diesel motors. The Cummins is the easiest to work on by virtue that it is an inline 6. That point alone makes it 100% worth it over the competition. Not to mention it does have a pretty reliable track record and can put down big power pretty easily. There is a huge aftermarket following and a community full of information.

If you do decided to buy dodge buy a manual or be prepared to spend money on a transmission rebuild. Balljoints are also very common issues but if you spend the extra money on Moog ones, they last quite a while. Everything else is pretty solid and easy to repair.

As for as modifications, buy a smarty and fuel pump and be done with it. My buddy has just a programmer on his and the thing rips. It’s a 6 speed H.O.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae134/alexsobo91/65296_1613879552736_1408720954_1644067_3228113_n.jpg

The durmax has issues with the injectors and pumps. Many of them were replaced under warrenty though, buddy at West Herr chevy has them come in often to b fixed under warrenty, idk if they fail again later out of warrenty.

How much do you want to spend? Do you plan on nodding? I can tell you exactly what to buy. :slight_smile:

The 06-07 (early) Duramax trucks are awesome. LBZ (or updated LLY) engine with no injector problems. The Allison trans is stout for life, but if you go with a tuner, it will fail and need a rebuild eventually. The LBZ is like 360hp 600ft/lbs stock I believe. Plenty of power…

Cummins > Duramax > Ford powersmoke.

However if you are not towing with it then it’s kind of a waste. If you are looking for gas mileage they are pretty good but repairs are expensive. I would recommend a VW diesel if all you are looking for is gas mileage. And I would hang a set of truck nuts from one that is lowered for best effect.

7.3 power stroke.
If you buy a 6.0L powerstroke, I’ll punch you in the dick.

The cummins are great MOTORS but thats it. Everything else on a dodge can be sent right to the scrap yard.

If you get a dodge go south. The engines are great but the body rots out extremely fast.

My buddy has a one owner Ford crew cab 7.3 with 100K he’d sell. Let me get the specs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-XCAB-LT-DURAMAX-DIESEL-4X4-EXTREMELY-CLEAN-ARIZONA-/230612317410?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35b190b4e2

I work on 7.3’s 6.0’s and multiple versions of the cummins motors all day long

the 7.3 is an amazing engine the 15 we have left in service have between 350k and 450k and have never left the framerails of the vans there in … yes parts have been replaced … just harnesses and injectors … but that only due to the environment that they live in … those fuckers are TIGHT in an E chassis … and the harness bakes in there

the 6.0 has some good power … but we see a TON of problems (injectors ,high pressure pumps,oil plugs,egr coolers,oil coolers,head gaskets) … but all of the problems can be solved from the get go if you run additives like the entertech stuff and if you do “The Mod” http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/category_s/79.htm … this solves all 6.0 problems

as for the cummins motors … i throw parts at these things like crazy … At least on the big motors … injection pumps,lines,lift pumps,exhaust manifolds,front motor plates,harness … the 5.9 24v share the same basic design as the ones in our buses … the injection pump has like a 30% failure rate … and the lines brake and motor plate brake because of the vibration … i think the most stout of them all is the 12v motors … not alot of problems with those

as far as the duramax … i dont have a ton of experience but i do know that you will be replacing injectors,lines and pumps … also the water pumps are common to go

7.3 ford

my dad had a 99 f350 diesel and you could do rolling heaters in that thing lol. i believe he only had it for 45k before he turned it in, never had a problem. With heavy towing and plowing

he also had a sierra duramax 3500(03 i think), im pretty sure all the allisons have automatic downshifting built in, which is great for towing. the gmc was more comfortable than the ford (full leather on both), but being a 3500 it pretty much rode like dick, slammed hondas drive better. the ford definitely had way more power though.

a friend of mine has an 04 i believe dodge cummins 2500 4door. the ride is pretty decent, there’s enough comfortable room in the back, however a lot of the interior is falling apart for no reason and it only has 60k. he’s also been having a ton of tranny problems, (although he uses it for towing and plowing), and a few problems that were only 3-4 hour fixes.and A LOT of the dodges i see are already rusting and rotting out. his truck is pretty quick, but im not sure what you’re looking for in a truck.

definitely get a southern truck. my dad now has a v10 excursion with almost 200k miles on it, the exterior still looks brand new and he had the entire underside undercoated. the interior is extremely comfortable and is still holding up very well with all the mileage. I think he’s had it here in buffalo for 3 winters now

that’s all i have for input. personally i like the fords or gmc the best

most of the kids around town with diesels mommy and daddy bought them either a cummins or duramax. from what i understand talking to people that work on diesels the cummins are the best of the bunch, but dont quote me on that.

however a friend had an early 90’s ford 4door dualy with the diesel and that thing had over 300k on it and was nothing but a work truck. my cousin also has a powerstroke with around 260k with the 6speed manual and that still runs really well, though he only uses it for towing the race car and plowing now. has a car for a daily.

2001 Ford F-250 crew cab
4x4 platinum edition
Every option available
Just turned 100,000 miles
Super clean
$16,900.00

He is sending me pictures today. I can also drive it back to buffalo for gas and food money. :slight_smile:

01 probably won’t have forged rods but the PMRs in it are good up to 500rwhp.

That is a good price.

Convert it to veggie. Buy some cheap go fast parts and love driving around for free.

Please post the pics when you get them, or send me a pm…