Recommend me the best diesel truck motor

No problem, I’m in Houston so there will be zero rust.

what about a V10 Twin Turbo Diesel? 4 door? air ride? stock tow brake?can tow anything (including 747s)? or do you need a bed?

Stay away from anything common-rail.

The info so far has been awesome. I am NOT in a rush to buy. I’m looking at an end up the year smart buy.

That’s the eventual plan and you better believe I’m going to hit you up for info when the time comes over some shots. I’ve been looking into WVO and biodiesel conversions for a bit.

My parents live in eastern NC and I’ll most likely be looking there. I also have a friend that sources national auctions for vehicles. My biggest thing is I wanted to see if most of what I knew is holding true without tainting the feedback I’m getting. So far so good and I still have a lot more I can learn.

As stated before I’d like to stay away from the dodges as I’ve have my experience with them and am not to happy. They have great motors but their bodies and everything else aren’t known for holding up.

SO in short:
about 15k (give or take 2k depending on what it is)
Can be converted to WVO and/or biodiesel without major issues.
4 door with a truck bed
Towing isn’t going to be a factor as much as plowing in the winter will be.
at least basic options are a must but full options are preferred
4x4 obviously
ANd Must be an Automatic … my left ankle is shot … arthritis at 28 is super cool

Honestly the tuner alone in my truck made it “fast enough” … the injectors made it a monster. All depends on what you want to spend.

A stock 7.3 is only going to keep up with or pass a stock older Cummins. The Duramax is the race car motor of the group.

They can all be tuned up to whatever you want… but each has its own progression and limitations on stock parts.

The 01 posted here will be happy with a DP-Tuner, which will give you 100+ hp and over 200 tq. The veggy kit will run you a couple grand or so but will be paid off in months depending on how many miles you put on it and if you’re paying for your oil. The only other thing I would recommend right off the bat would be a 200+ degree thermostat. If you’re going to be plowing a lot, you want the truck as hot as you can run it. This will help with a complete burn of veggie. I’ve never had any problems, and I ran the stock 180*, but I never plowed or idled for long periods of time in the winter. I recommend that you don’t either. The truck will burn about 1 gallon of diesel per hour… if you’re going to idle, kill the kit and turn it on when you’re done.

Now… as far as biodiesel goes, I can’t recommend it because WVO is way better. OTOH, bio can be run in just about anything and you don’t have to convert the vehicle. I cannot recommend running B100 (100% biodiesel) in the winter because it will gel on you, and you’ll have a dead truck. If you end up with a Duramax or a Cummins, both will run on bio. There is a 24V veggie conversion made by BioFuelTechnologies (the company currently selling the Vegistroke kit I had) and there has been very good feedback on that. That is the only way I could recommend running WVO in a Cummins.

The aftermarket for the Big 3 is HUGE … and you can go fast in anything now. There is a 6.4L Ford in the 9s, there are 7.3Ls making 1100+ RWHP… 1700 hp Duramaxs… 2000+ hp Cummins… it is all in what you want to spend and where you want to end up.

My next truck will either be a super clean 7.3 dually resting on 24s making 450RWHP… or a mildly lifted 6.4L making 600+ RWHP. Both of which will run on WVO. :wink:

For everyone saying dodge’s rot out, take in to consideration every ford f250-350 you see rolling around with gaping rot holes above the rear wheel arches.

Every truck will need maintenance, and every truck will rust if you don’t wash it.

For the price, you can get a lower mileage southern Cummins that will treat you well. The trucks really are nice. Front end rebuilds are $200+labor. Big whoop. The motor is simple to work on and so is the rest of the truck relatively.

Just saying, next time you are on the highway notice the heavy duty trucks actually hauling loads. 90% of the time, it’s a dodge with a Cummins.

PS: I have a 7’ straight blade plow for sale if you were interested in it, I could let it go cheap.

I’m not a brand whore or anything… and I don’t know what kind of highway you’re driving down, but I’m pretty sure Ford has outsold Dodge… always. 90% is so far beyond exaggeration it is silly. 30% I would agree with. :wink:

LOL I love my truck but it no having any kind of aftermarket is a big downer + I can’t even put big tires on it to go off road. It does tow well and is very comfy as a DD. I have put 14K on it since fall and so far it just needs another oil change. I don’t think this can be beat if someone were looking for a comfortable daily driver that will occasionally tow. If you are looking for utility, off road, or something you can mod this is not a option.

-touareg TDI V10