Dodge truck issues, help

All of a sudden my truck began slipping into neutral from 2wd. It apparently leaked the fluid which caused the problems in the first place. What I’m really worried about is after it popped out on the highway I hysterically jammed the thing back into 2wd. On the way to the shop I ended up having to do this a couple more times.

I’m worried that this has caused some permanent damage and I’m not sure how to go about repairing or replacing it.

How much should I expect this repair to cost? How can I find out exactly what transfer case I need? is this the typical thing that happens when it runs low on fluid? I cant seem to find any other people complaining about anything like it.

the truck is my 4.7L v8 dodge dakota with 5sp and manual shift 4x4.

What is the current mileage on your truck?

@ what mileage did you buy your truck?

What year is your truck?

Also,when you first start driving your truck,does it like to hang onto high RPM’s for a while before it will shift down to a lower PRM? If so than you most likely have a very clogged/dirty tranny filter…A tranny service is in dire need asap.

When you put your truck into gear does it go right into gear or does it hessatate for a second and then engage?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya.

He has a manual tranny, not an auto.

Mileage is at 12x,xxx

It has ZERO problems other than the transfer case popping out of neutral.

So it has nothing to do with the filter, it has no mods, the map sensor is fine, the 5 speed works great…

So um, yea. This is pretty much a question of do I need to replace my transfer case and if I do which exact one do I need (I can’t figure it out online at all.)

My bad,sorry,disregard any tranny comments i made.

Yeah sounds like a transfer case issue,pretty commen with many used/high mileage 4WD trucks.

BTW what year is your truck?

I had a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L ex-cab as a rental for two weeks.I’ll have to admitt,i really liked it and it had some nuts!! I really don’t like how the new Dakota front ends look…Thats just me.

its an '00. the 4.7L is 10 times more fun with the 5 speed :stuck_out_tongue:

theres like ten different things this could be

shift collar

shift fork

stretched chain

Its gonna be a bit too rebuild it… Its a NP241 and from what i can gather, a junk t-case. IMHO, go with one from a wrecking yard, or, swap out for a more stout t case like a NP231, or NP242 from a jeep. BUT, make sure your input and output shafts are the the same length and spline

^Yeah the rental i had was an auto,i agree,a 5 speed would have been nice.Then again how many sheeple can even drive a 5 speed manual? esp now a days…

This guy sounds like he knows what he is talking about,esp with giving the unit numbers and all.

If you have to replace your t-case than might as well get a better unit.

your confident that its an NP241? How confident are you that a 31 or 42 fits? I found a sheet that has spline #s and such but it doesn’t exactly tell me that they will actually fit. I’m really afraid that they are for push button ones.

How much should I expect this repair to cost? How can I find out exactly what transfer case I need?

Seafoam: it can fix transfer case

JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP.

You have even less of a case to be in a discussion about TECHNICAL ITEMS ON A TRUCK YOU HAVE NEVER OWNED, DRIVEN, OR SERVICED. Man you are fucking stupid.

Fuck, now i just looked again and it says its a NV231. heres how you tell, crawl under your truck, there should be a circular steel tag with the red letters
New Process gear, or New Venture Gear (same company) on the back of the t case towards the rear axle. Than itll have numbers stamped on it like NP242, or NP203, or NP201, until you get those numbers its gonna be a bitch finding info out.

Too swap out transfer cases (such as a manual shift NP231 or NP242)your going too have too make sure the bolt patterns are the same and the input and output shaft splines and lengths are equal.

If you have any mechanical experance at all a t case is really easy to rebuild yourself.I would think it would be a fork problem.I dont think it would be the chain because it would only skip if it was in 4 wheel.But seeing it was run low on fluid you never know what you may find.

Is it worth it though? Compared to just trying to find one in the $300 range at a junkyard? I feel like parts would run me close to that, plus I’m not sure why it went dry but it was due to a leak of some sort. Hopefully not a crack in the case.