What to do with my truck

I’ve got a 2000 Expedition that my wife DD’s and we use to tow our 3000lb boat. It’s a great truck, 81k miles, auto 4x4, leather and every option. We only put about 7k a year on it so the MPG isn’t that big a deal.

The problem is it’s started shifting hard into 3rd. Light throttle it’s not too bad but if you’re on the gas hard, especiallly if you lift just before it shifts it shifts with a pretty good clunk. Tried a full drain (trans, torque convertor, filter) and that did nothing. Took it to Continental in WS yesterday and was quoted 1800-2200 for a rebuild. They had it on the computer and went for 3 test drives. They said the range would normally be higher but driving it everything but that one shift is perfect and they don’t expect a big mess when they get it open. They guarantee the range of their estimate.

So now I need to decide if I get it rebuilt, find a junkyard trans and swap that in, or trade it in.

I really don’t want to trade it because it’s paid off and in really good shape. In the last year or two I did 4 shocks, brakes, an exhaust and tires. The truck is paid for and it’s nice not having 2 car payments. I have about 2 years left to pay off the GTO.

If I find a junkyard trans for 500 or so I’m still looking at quite a bit of labor to swap it. Even then I end up with a trans of questionable condition and history. The Continental rebuild comes with a 2 year, 24k warranty. Doing the swap myself is a little more than I want to take on in my garage.

I could see us keeping the truck another 3 years or so, unless something changed where my wife started having to drive much farther each day. No matter what we replace it with we need another SUV to tow the boat, though I wouldn’t go as big.

So what do you think?

Lucus transmission fix, it works wonders, then post it forsale :smiley:

Do it yourself. It’s a pretty straight up swap. I swapped the tranny in my S4 in my garage on jackstands, and I have helped (somedude) swap tranny after tranny after tranny in his sho in my garage on jackstands. Just buy a junkyard tranny and swap it. It should only take you a few hours a day after work, or a weekend. My .02

I would probably go for the rebuild. you dont know what you are going to get with a junkyard one, as you mentioned.

Good luck finding a junkyard unit for $500.And if it doesnt work its you labor to do it all over again.Those are no fun to pull out on your back.What trans is in it a 4R70w or a 5r55.The 5r55 does have a problem with the sevro bore warning out,which the trans does have to come out so the bore can bored out and sleved.

Try some Trans-x. It will take a few days, but it should fix the hard shifting. You say its a good truck, and it has 81k on it, i’d fix it and keep it. Its a big truck so its only best when towing a boat. Unless you want to upgrade.

Junkyarding a trans for ther wife’s DD is not a good ideas. I’d call wholesale transmission and get a price. It should be the 4R70w i have one in my f150 that has had a 3rd gear issue for years now, yet hasnt failed.

fyi if it is the 4r70w theres a ton of tsb’s for the 3rd’ gear servo

Trade it in and get a Rav4. :wink:

In all honesty though, the rebuild sounds like a strong idea. Just make sure (and i probably don’t have to tell you this…) you don’t start sinking big money into a ten year old Expedition that’s worth diddly.

PS - if you’re not against leasing, the money factors on Toyota’s are INSANELY low. With just your trade in, you’d probably have $150/month payments on a Rav.

It’s an 4r100 trans in it, which surprises me with the problems because that’s Ford’s HD trans. A Rav would be a bit small for all home improvement and landscaping stuff I do around the house, not to mention towing.

Like Beck mentioned, it’s tough deciding to put 2k in repairs into a 10 year old truck. At $300 a month that’s a little less tha 7 months of car payments. Chances are after this trans fix the truck won’t need anything major for a lot longer than that.

Meh. Keep the opinions coming.

The other thing bothering me is that mid size SUV prices are in the toilet right now. I could pick up a lightly used (less than 20k miles) Murano really cheap.

please do not use any mechanic in a can. The swap is not that bad. Call some yards. I could probably find you a rebuilt trans for 800. I could even help you swap it.

Im gonna have to say rebuild it, or swap in a rebuilt one.

$2200 with a two year guarantee is far cheaper then a new vehicle ($250 x 24)… and the truck us in great shape, doesn’t really need anything else, and while a “new” vehicle is always an enticing opportunity, it’s just not fiscally responsible ATM. You know this…

Def pass on the jyard swap… save yourself the $500 + weekend of swapping it just to have a big “?” mark in the wife’s DD.

Look on eBay for a rebuilt,prices are not all that bad even with shipping,some even have free shipping.Cash for clunkers? Trade it in on a Chrysler since they’re doubling the offer?

2K is a bit steep,that’s like a 1/3 of the trucks value.

Call northeastern trans parts (they are on baily) …i have ALWAYS had great luck with them …do a cash and carry rebuild …swap it yourself … im sure plenty of people on here would give you a hand

have you done any shopping around to see who can give you the best deal on a rebuild?

a cash and carry rebuild is definitely the route i would go. pull the trans yourself, take it to have it rebuilt and then put it back in yourself, unless you don’t mind spending the extra money to have it done for you.

lucas oil

Thats where is work.I would have to guess without seeing it the E4ODs have problems with the front of the valvebody may have a sticking valve or the valvebore wears out and needs to be bored and a sleeve and new valve put in or your soleniod pack has a problem.It doesnt sound like the trans needs replacment or rebiult from what you have described.If you call my work just make and appointment for a road test(its free).Its always good to get a second opinion.And most likely i will be the one that has to road test it.

I would try some Lucas first and see if that makes any improvements. If not, and you really want to keep it, I would just drive it until it’s completely necessary to rebuild/replace, and then take the steps to getting it done. Who knows, it could last the 3 years you need it, or it could last 3 months.

And if you only drive it 7k a year, I see no reason for this to need immediate attention.

While the car manufactures are offering incentives, take advantage of them! Remember, new is always better, well usually. Ol reliable has served you well, maybe its time for a change of pace.