Transmission died in my GTP, what should I do?

2000 Grand Prix GTP 90,000miles

Worked perfect, until all the sudden I put it in (D) in my driveway and nothing. Only Reverse and 2nd Gear works if I put it in manually (Auto tranny). (I feels like it’s slipping even when in 2nd)

I took it to Aamco, they quoted $1700-$2200. He thinks it’s the 1way clutch, but unsure atm. I told Dwain, the guy on the phone that I might just wait until after my deployment to get it fixed, and he offered $1900 & Tax (includes torque converter, max price regardless of what is wrong)

Carnut isn’t taking on new jobs he said. (he did some work for me last year)

What should I do?

(My mechanical ability is very low to be honest, and I don’t want to put some random used tranny in and have it blow out 6months later)

Talk to studderin. He is a GTP pro and does work on the side like this. He’ll probably want you to source a junkyard trans and he’ll put it in. He might be able to scoop a trans for you as well.

I’d probably do a junkyard trans and have someone put it in. U-pull price will be probably around $100-200, recycler probably $500-800. Labor will depend on who you have do it. Could easily have it done for between $700-1000 (or less) finding the right parts and person.

www.donsauto.com, located by me in binghamton has one:

Transmission
Pontiac Grand Prix
Description: 2CP,6-3.8,12-99,AOT, FLR,72K
Miles:72,628
Grade: A
Stock #: e1099 D91262
Price: $550

They list 2 trans codes though, XAB and XBB. the one above is for the XBB. There is a tag on the transmission, on the underside rear I believe, that states which is needed. The transmissions from don’s come with a 12k/1year warranty. We got a motor for my girlfriends car there and it’s great.

for 2 grand you can get a built trans from triple edge performance. look on crags list i think i saw a used one the other day,

I debated doing a junkyard trans in my DD Expedition and decided against it. You just never know what you’re getting and it would suck to pay someone to swap it only to have big problems again in no time. If you were swapping it yourself it might be worth the risk since you’re only losing time if you have to do it again.

If you decide to go the rebuild route Continental in Orchard Park gets a lot of recommendations.

I don’t know, I have seen some rebuilt transmissions fail pretty quickly after being done by reputable shops.

Chris call me.

Mine took a shit and it cost $500

So go to a shop with a warranty. Continental warranties their work I just forgot for how long.

ya, thats the one I changed for you right?

I really know these cars, if you looking for somone.

Doing on right now, did one before Xmas too. And shop rebuild quote is gona be more.
Its a 10 year old car 90K miles that worth 3-4K anyway, so your probably not going to put a 2-3K into a stock trans rebuild, or a “performance” one. I can get you a good used one that will out last the car from 10 more NY winters. Installed for a lot less. And I know all the other little things that wear, and fail on these cars. If you want to fix them or not, thats up to you. Changed a trans, did a tuneup, fixed some other worn parts (with good GM parts not cheap junk) on a winter beater 98gtp that had 135K, and it now has something like 189K with just oil changes, and tires. Keeping up on the little stuff can pay off.

Dont know if the motor is different, but i swaped a trans on a 3800 supercharged buick, late 90s, and from what i remember it was a total PITA. could just be me. but if its anything similar, expect some headaches if you decide to do it yourself.

jw, did the tranny die because you never maintained it?? were fluid changes ever done? filter?

I would go with him. Probably the most knowledgeable person on this thing when it comes to the 3800 cars, and one of the most knowledgeable that I know overall when it comes to them.

x47 for Studderin

I’ve seen him fist a GTP transmission, and it fixed itself.

And a trip to PA :wink:

Pm LoudGTP i believe his name is

And a trip to pa courtesy of mr. buck!!!

Bucholtz Transmission
2760 Sheridan Drive, Tonawanda, NY(716) 833-5714‎

I had those guys install two performance transmissions that I had sourced from out of town. They did very nice work, and even plumbed up a cooler with metal hardlines.

If you are installing a new transmission, either put in a new radiator, or plumb in a transmission cooler that does not go into the old radiator. Otherwise you will be pushing metal and clutch material through your new transmission.

Also make sure that they flush the return lines with cleaner before the new trans goes in.

Bulkpart.com has a good selection of coolers, I have ordered from them plenty of times before.

A-Z Transmissions off of union behind the Caboose. Paul owns the place, fantastic work if Studderin can’t help you.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&source=hp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=a-z+transmissions,+buffalo,+ny&fb=1&gl=us&hq=a-z+transmissions,&hnear=buffalo,+ny&cid=9834419932865997751

If there’s anyone that knows about replacing Automatic transmissions in FWD cars its Somedude. I would hit him up and see what he thinks. I bet he could diagnose it over e-mail. At worse he knows where to go by now. $2000 seems a little high for a stock replacement trans. I think Somedude was looking at $1200 or so for a built one.

If you don’t have studderin do it, you’re a retard. :tup: