Grand Prix Tranny Issue

'05 GTP w/ 58K miles. The transmissions “shudders” (for lack of a better word) mostly on the 1-2 shift at light throttle. More noticeable once the fluid heats up. Also hits kind of hard when you shift from neutral to reverse. Downshifting with the paddle shifters is kind of rough in general at times. Dealer didn’t notice anything unusual of course.

Is it worth trying a fluid flush? Or just wait it out until closer to the end of the 75K warranty?

I would take it is asap…before you get stranded.

:stupid: ya then maybe it can be caught be4 it gets to be a pricey fix

take it to a different dealer to see if they notice it??

where did you take it?

Check the engine mounts, too. A broken engine or trans mount can have the same symptoms.

C. Harper’s since they’re right up the road. They haven’t hesitated to replace parts in the past, but i have a feeling they drove it when the fluid was still cold.

I was wondering that too. Thought I would notice it under a hard start though. I’ll have to check them out.

i was going to say motor/trans mounts also

makes me thankfull i sold mine at 46k because mine did the same thing but then again i beat the hell outta my old gtp ! id take it to another dealor even though i like C harper !! but let it go you have a warrenty let them deal with it !

its on its way out
-get warranty or git out yur wallet

take it from a 3 time loser(every 50 thousand miles i dropped one)

dont ever flush or change fluid or filter in it- or boom its over

Well there are alot of opinions on trannies and flushing, i flushed mine b4 wiht no problems at all, you just have to check the fluid a few times,not once after you do it. Some take to it and others don’t, not sure why? But from what you are describing about hot and cold i would def say it is on it’s last leg, get it done under warrenty and make sure they do it with HD parts, i had my first one non HD and i found out.

i dropped one also that way

i change and still change all my cars trannys regularly-
except the supercharged
gm ones

I was kind of surprised that the '02 GTP went 90K with no tranny issues. This one isn’t going to make it that far. I’ll have to see if I can get a tech to ride with me so I can point out what it’s doing. Looks like the extended warranty gamble (a.k.a. the yes-I-think-the-car-is-going-to-break-policy) is going to pay off.

Did anyone have their’s serviced under warranty? Do the dealerships even do their own transmission work or farm it out?

so whats up with the GTP trannys?
are they the same as N/A grand prixs ?

Does the GTP have a 4T65E-HD?

yes jeff it does, tell them about it, some dealerships are idiots

the only way to keep your tranny from failing is to have a spare laying around

I’ve had the one i got off sleeper for damn near a year and a half now

that shutter doesn’t sound quite like a transmission issue. I’ve got the same problem and I know its bad lower mounts

supercharged trannys are different from n/a

they cant handle the heat/strain of the extra hp- doesnt have to be modded either- they all fail

if it shutters when going from 1st to second- at some point you will not have 3rd or 4th

its definitely the tranny

call jjs- brian hooked me up and as always his prices are great

so, tranny are a big failing point on the 04 and 05 GTP’s? Or is this not the norm?

trannys big fail point on 97-to at least 2003- same tranny- minor upgrades