toyota help, please.....

Ok heres the deal, I bought a cheap 1995 toyota camry the other day, with thoughts of it having a bad tranny. When I went to get it, we found that it had no fluid in it. So we tossed a few quarts in it, and it moved under its own power, if you were very kind to it with the throttle.

Fast forward to today, I changed the fluid and screen, now it has perfect reverse, forward works if you ease into it very lightly. If you try to accelerate hard, you have to hit 2200+ RPM before it will move. If you “power brake it” it will turn the tires and move like I would think a stock four banger would.

Now my question is this, what do you all think? Should I buy a junkyard tranny for $300-400, rebuild the one I have , or is there something I’m missing about the tranny I have?

Tom

One more question, does the diff and the tranny fill from the tranny dipstick, or is there a fill plug for the diff?

Tom

blowing up 3 of them with the exact same symptoms… you are better off just getting another you can get one from the following vehicles…

91-95 NA mr2
any camry with a 4cly…
90-99 celica.

So you think this is a true tranny probelm, and nothing electronic? I should just stop second guessing myself, and buy the junkyard tranny with a warranty?

nobody knows about blowing up toyota stuff like burnyd… listen to him.

:stick: I fixed the tranny in the 95 pickup I got from him for $26 :stick:

kickdown cable !

^^

lol yah thats what I figured might be the problem I just never really cared too much

I meen it could be , but nothing electronic I doubt it. Mine once I blew them in my old celica it was a 3sgte swap car… I could hit reverse and nothing else… all 3 of them.

what did the tranny fluid look like to begin w/?

w/ that said, diff and tranny are two seperate fill areas.

tranny has a dry fill capacity of 5.9 quarts. on a drain and refill you add 2.6 qts.

The diff holds 1.7 qts.

i see this happen alot-- we drain all trannys/engines. sell a used tranny. customer fills tranny side up, but forgets the gear lube side. tranny makes it literally 5 miles then shits the bed. irate customer wants refund/warranty–when they are the one who fucked up.

also, use the overdrive on/off light in the cluster to your advantage. you jumper some pins and the light will flash- say 2 long lights, then 4 quick ones==code 24. you can find out what is wrong/narrow it down.

do a google search for exact pin #'s to jumper to do this, i dont rememebr off hand. have to see it.

I know it’s going to sound like i got this backwards, but it isn’t. The tranny fluid came out looking like very thin gearlube. A black color, with a gearlube smell. The diff fluid came out nice red, burnt tranny fluid smell.

I seen on car-parts.com that the guys in smithton has a few of these trannys? Does anyone know for sure? I think they were listed as 300-400 bucks, does that sound right?

Tom

would this be the same as jumping the ecu pins? That seems to be the only thing I can find.

if the guys in smithton is marony’s thats where sailor(vwcabby) works!

:doh:

left hand side of the dash, data link connector 1-- use pins e1 (upper right corner) and te1 (middle row, middle pin)

and i work at maroneys. we have 1 4 cyl tranny. $250 bucks. call and ask for rk. 1800 245 7278 90 day warranty standard, can buy an extended warranty as well.

Cool thanks for the info. It will have to wait a couple of weeks, I’m a bit short on money now, the damn dryer just blew up, so I gotta buy one of those now before car parts. Since this is only to be an extra car.