Is my tranny blown?

Hey guys,

I’m new here, but I just wanted to find out if I blew my tranny…

I have a zenki s14 and it has been running smooth…until a couple weekends ago.

I was coming back from a 2 hour cruise and the clutch slipped while in first. No gear worked thereafter, so I pulled over and turned the car off…
10 minutes later, I started her up and she worked fine all the way home (for a good 30 minutes) When I get home, all the gears go again, except 4 and R. I put it into 1/2/3, let off the clutch…doesnt stall…nothing…no engage…

I thought the clutch was gone, so I took it to my mechanic. He tore it all open…yup…the clutch was completely fried, but he also told me the tranny was gone too. He wasn’t 100% sure, but he said there were iron fillings coming out of the drain plug…

Anyways, I picked up another tranny (thanks cvm07!!) and he’s putting her in tomorrow.

So, is the tranny gone? My mech said there was no point opening the tranny up cuz I got another one, but it may still be good… any thoughts?

minimal amounts of shavings are expected… is this the only reason that leads your mechanic to believe the tranny is done?

unless you have small chunks coming out, I wouldn’t be worried

it’s entirely possible your old tranny is in better shape or has less mileage than the one you newly acquired.
just put in some redline 75w90 and giv’er!

concur, you dont need syncros!

well atelast your mechanic didnt rope you into a rebuild.

lol you better believe he did…tried to get me to cough up 8 bills for a rebuild. NO THANKS. Man…is there anywhere or anyone i could take this tranny to …just to check it out? This is the last time I’m dealing with this mechanic.

its very common to get metal filings out of your diff / tranny

Seems like the whole thing was a scam…aren’t these transmissions supposed to be tough mofos? I mean, it’s only got 120K Kms on it and I only -mildly- abuse it, so it shouldn’t have gone so quickly.

i blew out a s13 tranny way back when…it sounded like it was going to exploded every time you downshifted…took it out of the car and the output shaft…which is supposed to stay stationary and just rotate; you could move with your hand in a really messed up circle…thing still drove and shifted fine tho.

Yeah man, just reuse the same one… 120 is pretty fresh still.

I had shavings come out of mine when I changed the fluid, and the car only had 120K on it.

Change the clutch, change the fluid (might aswell do the diff fluid while your at it), and go on your merry way.

Theo