Examining a tranny before purchase?

Hey guys,

I’m just curious to how someone would check out a tranny before they bought it? for example, the owner states the tranny only has 10k miles on it, shifts beautifully, no grinding etc… but when all you have is a tranny sitting in a crate in front of you, how would you have any idea if the owner is lying or not? it seems like it could be a huge scam, to just outright lie about the quality of something like that before selling. you give the money, he gives you a POS and you are out of luck, or at least knee deep in legal issues.

are there any pre-purchase checks you can do or anything?

thanks

open it up and visually inspect the gears, synchros, etc…you’ll know when you open it up.

It really depends on if it is an auto or a manual. If it is an auto, Start with the fluid it should smell sweet and not like a dirty whore. If it is hard to tell or you just want more reassurance then remove the pan, inspect the valvebody, remove the valve body inspect the internals. You will know right away if there is damage.

If it is a manual, you will probably have to tear it down. At least drain it and inspect for any lose metal, there is also a magnet inside the front or rear ehind the main seal. If you get that far, and the magnet is mostly clean then you are generally good, if it is really covered in metal then he is lying.

ahh good advice =) thanks i’ll remember that in future tranny searchs :wink:

and andy, maybe you can give some hands on help, payback for letting you have my license 4 years ago :wink: jk of course~!

does anyone have any opinions on manually rebuilding a manual tranny? or anywhere local that is trustworthy enough to do it?

-adam

lol, new tranny now too??

possibly might get an amazing deal on a 96 lsd`! plus i know of other deuces that could usea replacement :wink:

diy man. it’s actually pretty easy…just keep everything in order. and you probably won’t fuck it up. Do a search on some car specific forums if you’re in doubt and i’m sure you’ll come up with a walkthrough on how to do it even.

trannies are pretty simple, i can’t say that i have any expierence with manuals but after taking apart teh taurus ATX a manual would be a walk in the park i would imagine.

That’s pretty funny. Ever see how an E153 (MR2 SC/MR2 Turbo) tranny comes apart? They are not easy to dismantle. It’s not like many other cars where you can just split the casings and then pull the internals. They’re very complicated, way too complicated. They don’t always come apart too easily at all.

Adam, if you have a good tranny now, I would keep it and leave it at that. If you have any ?'s feel free to contact me, you know how.

haha :tup: :tup: :tup: i’ll be okay, i was really asking this question for someone else

but i will be pulling my engine next week/weekend if you want to stop by and check it out. i have to send my flywheel/clutch/pulley to ATS so they can balance it with the stroker they are sending… after that i’ll take apart and check the tranny. my R is bad, i have to go 1st -> R to get it in, but other than that it’s okay. i think the shifter linkage might need a little work as well. after that i’m redoing the wiring and pulling shit from the interior ( selling leather rsx seats and audio stuff… 12 sony subs etc… also a car alarm and replacing the autometer gauges with new blue defis + wb02 ).

actually you just reminded me that i need to find some temporary replacement cloth seats… i think sean may still have 1

hrm…i think it met the curb last year but i’ll check the shed tomorrow…

:tup:

PM sent.