Does anyone shave tires around here?

WNY area? I haven’t really called around yet, but a member on Buffaloscooby had a hard time finding a shop who does that around Rochester I believe.

I would need 1 tire shaved to match the diameter of 3 others.

ps. I know I have prospective buyers. This is just in case buyers back out.

pps. I will shave your dog/cat/pet for $10-$20, depending on size/weight/breed.

ppps. awd is a pain in my ass.

ill throw one of my snows on one side and this one on the otherside and do big hairy burnouts for a little while thatll do the trick

you think having 1 new tire and 3 old ones is going to wreck your AWD? your wrong. install the new tire and run it.

[quote=“somedude,post:3,topic:28367"”]

you think having 1 new tire and 3 old ones is going to wreck your AWD? your wrong. install the new tire and run it.

[/quote]

He’s worried about strain on the diff as the tires will be going different speeds.

If it was strictly for track use there is no way, no how a difference in tread depth would be more detrimental than actually turning the car. The difference between the inside/outside wheels would be…

Prolonged highway use on the otherhand.

Yeah I really don’t know…I found a buyer for the tires already though. If he backs out for any reason maybe i’ll run 2 in the front and a new set of 2 in the rear.

Maybe I’ll talk to more subaru techs and see what they think.

ahem…eMKay?

For example assuming a 25.625" diameter tire, and a 5’ track

The left/right wheel speed difference for traveling around a turn radius of:

25ft…18.1818% (auto-X turn around)
50ft…9.5238%
100ft…4.8780%
250ft…1.9802% (tight road course turn)
500ft…0.9950%
750ft…0.6645% (big road course turn)
1000ft…0.4988%

The wheel speed difference traveling in a straight line with thread depth difference of:

1/32…0.25% (less abusive than running at a big track)
2/32…0.5% (less abusive than running at a big track)
3/32…0.75% (less abusive than running at a small track)
4/32…1% (less abusive than running at a small track)
5/32…1.25% (less abusive than running at a small track)
6/32…1.5% (less abusive than auto-X)
7/32…1.75% (less abusive than auto-X)
8/32…2% (less abusive than auto-X)
9/32…2.25% (less abusive than auto-X)
10/32…2.5% (less abusive than auto-X)

Now if these were auto-X dedicated tires shaving them is pointless. Track tires, measure them first and decide.

Highway, why risk it, get them all to the same diameter.

They would be auto-x/track/street tires :frowning:

Nice calculations.

so weave thru traffic while traveling down the highway… that way both tires are always traveling different speeds, even if the tread diameter did match

so, uh, how do awd boys take corners without stressing your diffs ?

and have you checked the diameter of your spare tire to ensure it matches the currently installed tires ? would hate to see you use the spare and have it be the wrong diamter, which would apparently destroy your diff …

spares are for <50 miles of use smart ass…

^^^ yes, and anyone thats ever had a flat tire and has used the spare has stopped the vehical and parked it @49.9 miles from where it was installed … even if they were in syracuse on a sunday and had to be at work in buffalo on monday …

edit: 50 miles ? i beat the piss out of 3 mini spares for 1000+ miles each before any of them died

one of said tires was on the lebaron for a backroads cruise … who remembers me doing rally style jumps down the one street on said minispare ?

HAHA… putting spares on any driven wheel is not cool… My buddy is a retard, and put a spare on the front tire of a fwd car… The one tire spinning 20-30% faster than the other cant be too cool on the trannie… But he drove on it like that until the spare had belts coming out, and a few thousand later his trannie started slipping… :confused:

So, i guess AWD you might want to shave it if your doing alot of straight line high speeds… But, otherwise, id leave it… Just throw it on the front right of a honda and put a huge slick on the left side and burn until good, $20 should cover it :wink:

Don’t bother shaving the tires if they are seeing double duty on the street.

Theoretically if it was this much of a problem the center diff on my WRX should have blown out over a year ago, and 30k miles ago from having mismatched tires front and rear.

Though if it’s an automatic, then it could be a possible issue as they don’t use a viscous setup for the center diff like most of the manuals do. Otherwise I’m not aware of any place that does it.

[quote=“FuzzyFish,post:13,topic:28367"”]

Theoretically if it was this much of a problem the center diff on my WRX should have blown out over a year ago, and 30k miles ago from having mismatched tires front and rear.

Though if it’s an automatic, then it could be a possible issue as they don’t use a viscous setup for the center diff like most of the manuals do. Otherwise I’m not aware of any place that does it.

[/quote]

its a manual…but i would suggest maybe buying another tire…so the rears are the same as eachother and the fronts are the same as eachother…i’ve got to imagine the differences from front to rear is not as big a deal as right to left :gotme:

[quote=“Rx3,post:12,topic:28367"”]

Don’t bother shaving the tires if they are seeing double duty on the street.

[/quote]

[quote=“Rx3,post:18,topic:19722"”]

Keep in mind, AWD car…

… probably should not get 4 different "grades of wear " tires.

[/quote]

wtf???

Bump.

[quote=“somedude,post:3,topic:28367"”]

[/quote]

I just bought some parts off of this guy. He drives a 2004 sti

z G 3 2 6: lol, did your differential fail?
M: haha, in the suby, yeah, but the qoute in my profile was actually related to miatas
M: two completely unrelated events though
z G 3 2 6: what happened in the suby
M: i had a flat tire and replaced it with a new one. the other three were pretty new, so i didnt think the difference would be too great
M: but as far as XXXXX subaru here in va knows, it was some freak occurence, so it was replaced under warranty

^^^^ if that was truely possible then driving a scooby in the snow all winter would destroy the diff’s

and a good number of members here would have blown diff’s from sno-drifto events … there have been enough scoob’s that burnt thru and entire tank of gas in one afternoon playing in the snow … and thats a WHOLE LOT of speed differential between inside and outside tires over alot of distance (as far as the odometer knows)

working at nt subaru, i have seen some diffs get toasted from different depth tires, but then again i see older legacy’s with mismatched tires all the time, besides zong i already dismounted your tires…ur getting new ones!

[quote=“HotRodKid,post:17,topic:28367"”]

^^^^ if that was truely possible then driving a scooby in the snow all winter would destroy the diff’s

and a good number of members here would have blown diff’s from sno-drifto events … there have been enough scoob’s that burnt thru and entire tank of gas in one afternoon playing in the snow … and thats a WHOLE LOT of speed differential between inside and outside tires over alot of distance (as far as the odometer knows)

[/quote]

yea, and after doing some of mine my diff is once again fucked (all though I am not entirely sure this is from that… this is my 4th trip for diff repair) :confused: