Drivetrain warranty question

Yeah, I know I should call the dealer or check my paperwork but, I don’t trust the dealer and I have moved twice since we bought the vehicle so finding the paperwork will not be easy.
Plus I am at work and it is bugging me. :stuck_out_tongue:
This is just a simple question that a mechanic may know the general answer to.

Are u-joints generally covered under warranty?

The reason I ask is because my local shop can’t buy u-joints for an XTERRA, he has to buy the entire driveshaft from the dealer for 502.98.

Thanks for any help.

nope, thats why they call it a Limited powertrain warranty. I would consult a dealer just in case though.

https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=165_164&products_id=762

Don’t know the years, but maybe that helps?

You could bring the joint into napa and they could match it up, or if they can’t help you I would try fleetpride on walden.

SHIT! it’s a 2005.
Thanks though.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbparts/2005/nissan/xterra/u_joint.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=2005+Nissan+Xterra+U+Joint+-+4WD+-+Fr%3A01-00-05+-+GMB&utm_content=ymmbp&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

Does your internet have google?

I thought maybe the u-joint wouldn’t be covered but since it is “attached” to the shaft I am thinking it may be.
I don’t know.
This sucks, u-joints are like $30, I don’t want to spend $500!
I guess I will call the Stealership.:mad:

junkyards?

Drifter…joints for the rear shaft have the part# 37126-EA026. They run $45 each, OEM.

And from my experience, they’re typically not covered under a drivetrain warranty, but it depends on the company.

Thanks jason, I will check that out.

I just took that number next door to the shop and they called Mike Barney and they said no problem.
WTF?
Why were they trying to sell an entire shaft earlier today?
I HATE DEALERS!

Edit:Napa has one that crosses over to a Ford number.lol

^ I would call channel 2, they are clearly trying to take advantage of you because of your age.

Shops to this all the time to Seniors and Women

^Ha ha.

I just got the truck back, it’s all good.
Thanks for the input guys and thanks for the part number Jason.
The Ford u joint worked.:biglaugh:
Why doesn’t every company use the same u joints?

$500, thats not that bad. My employer paid $1000 for a driveshaft for a Cayenne test vehicle we have…

freakin car dealers… always trying to screw people.

nissan service depts are very pushy. I had an argument with them about the Z today. Apparently a rear axle is not part of the drivetrain.

I won the battle, but it is BS that if I was a clueless person, they would have just f’d me over on it instead of putting in a warranty claim.