Dropping the gas tank is FUN!!

…not

it sucked ass kinda lol Replaced my fuel pump on my Irocz this weekend. taking the rear end out and putting it back in is simple, especially since i did that before. Had the rear out in about 1.5 hrs

tank and pump took abit longer than that lol I got off work friday at around 3 and started fairly soon after. worked till about 7-7:15 or dark, and quit cuz i was tired.

SO in about 4 hrs i got the tank out, new pump in, and put the tank back in. wasnt that heavy since i had probly around 3 gallons of gas in it, maybe abit more. But getting the fuel neck out was abit gay… dissconnected lines from the body to the tank, and then twisted that bitch all over. getting it in was easy…:slight_smile:

Pump install was easy, as my kit came with everything and the intank setup isnt complicated.

today i got the hot wire wiring harness kit installed. Didnt take too long. First made sure the car ran ok and pressurized right before i did anything and after seeing no leaks, and seeing good pressure, i put the harness on, installed the rear, suspension, everything. bleed the brakes myself and seemed to be ok, so put her on the ground and took her out today

So far the top end problem hasnt showed itself. only got about 3 runs to 90-95 and didnt see no problems. all other gears felt fine. Car felt different tho for alittle while during the first drive…and it sounded different too, but soon after started to be normal again. Datalogs seem to show no problems and good running so far. soooo i hope the pump was the problem and now the car will run ok. Cant wait to go to the track this time and run good times.

If i ever have to do this again i’m kinda gonna be dissapointed as i should have cut in a access door LOL may go that route someday

Dropping the tank just doesn’t sound like fun. I already have the marks setup on the sheet metal waiting to be cut!

it wouldnt take long at all if you have someelse to help and no gas in the tank lol.

Did it this was on the 87 I had. Think that was easier than dropping the tank. :slight_smile:

If there is a next time, you might want to consider cutting a flap in the carpeting in the interior then making a trap-door like this from the inside of the car:

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/51/51/3/71/97/2366371970042620437ydurik_th.jpg

It would probably be quicker the first time and even save more time the second time…

hopefully there wont be a need for another time for many years to come but you never know

i should have cut the door while i had the whole tank out. i was just worried about how i would seal it off once i had cut it…

And if i did that, how do you cut the fuel lines that go into the pump assembly? i’d be scared shitless to try and cut those lines while gas is in the system

Yeah, you hope that there isn’t a next time. I’ve owned one or 2 f-bodies continuously since I was 16 and have never had to actually replace a fuel pump. The above trap door was a gifr from Domination Chassis a few years ago.

The seal really only needs to be some sort of rubber sheeting or whatever. Since it’s under carpet, it’s not a disaster if it isn’t a perfect seal anyway. Just an idea.

I’ve had the tank out of mine, I thought it was rather easy.

i cut a trap door for mine. swapped a fuel pump out in less than an hour. and it was my cherry f-bucket fuel pump too.

trap door method ftw!

I thought dropping the tank was easier than cutting the hole.

taking the rear end out is easy. puting it back in is also fairly easy…even by yourself. the tank would have been abit easier if ihad someone to help guide the neck out of the hole while i wrestled it underneath. but overall it wasnt bad.

cutting the door would be alot easier. you remove carpet, then cut a big square hole. cut the fuel lines and remove the pump. install new one and put it back in the tank. hook up rubber high pressure line to connect the cut fuel lines and your good to go. I’d love to install AN fittings and line but i didnt have flare tools and such and didnt want to waste alot of time. next time i do it, i probly will do it that way. I just am not sure how to seal it up well and i was in a hurry that weekend