Dual/Quad Core?

I got a duo core Inspiron 9400. Think thats what we are talking about lol. Love it. Runs very fast and switches between large applications pretty quick. I think this is a lower version of dual processor like t2500 or something?

True for now Intel is in the lead as far as dual core and quad core goes.

What the future holds very soon is what will bring AMD to the top again, though.

AMD has support for 2 processors on one board, to bring their quad core which I believe is better then one processor and 4 cores.

Then comes in AMD’s quad core single chip, which you could run 2 of on the same board. 2 Processors and 8 cores…yum.

I’ve been a fan of AMD for a while now, it switches back and forth between who truely has the better chips.

From what I’ve heard/seen, AMD has been more friendly to over-clocking which is becoming more popular…but who knows. I’m not an expert!

read some overclocking forums. the new core2 is great for overclocking. intel>amd

amd sucks balls dude…

intel > *
and if you want two chips, stop playing with toys and get a xeon board.

and as far as intel… woodcrest >*
:slight_smile:

intel > *
sonny > *

I have been spec’ng out a ton of quad core lately. the shit is just rediculous. And remember when purchasing dual/quad core procs. Clock speed really does not matter anymore!

I don’t think overclocking a machine that you depend upon your livelihood is such a good idea. To each their own, however.

Server memory (with ECC, parity checking) and server boards are generally more reliable, IMO. But most good server boards lack dual SLI/PCIe 16x slots. A catch 22.

Eh, I wasn’t planning on getting a new board anyways haha…like I said Intel seems to be taking huge leaps ahead of AMD with these chips.

Yeah it’s kind of a whole new ballgame and I don’t know much about it yet, that’s why I’m here! What would be considered the “new clock speed” per say, as in the most important aspect of choosing a processor?

looking at a data sheet right now… Compared to a 2.8Ghz single Core proc, the 2.66 1333FSB Quad Core is 495% times faster.

so no more is a 2.8 faster then a 2.66. Hell the new 2 way servers are as about fast as a 4 way server.

Where did you acquire said data sheet?

Dell, They send me all kinds of neat stuff to do server builds.

i have the new woodcrest data sheets for the xeon boards and the xbox chip sheets too… i mean i do work for the company that supplies the cpu’s for these machines, so i can dig somethign up if you cared enough…

amd’s are garbage and alwas have been… hell, i’d take a p4 dual core over any amd…

all point aside, i don’t see you spending 600+ on a cpu, so quad core is out of hte question… core 2 duo’s are cheap and is probably your best solution…

we had 3 arrive at the DC friday, dual quad core 2.66 :bowdown: