Dubai building futuristic bridge

Not taking sides, just throwing it out there

Burj Al Arab characterizes itself as the world’s only “7-star” property, a designation considered by travel professionals to be hyperbole. All major travel guides and hotel rating systems have a 5-star maximum, which some hotels attempt to out-do by ascribing themselves “6-star” status. Yet according to the Burj Al Arab’s official site, the hotel is a “5-star deluxe hotel”. It is the world’s tallest structure with a membrane façade and the world’s tallest hotel (not including buildings with mixed use) and was the first 5-star hotel to surpass 1,000 ft (305 m) in height. Although it is characterized as the world’s only 7-Star Hotel, several “7 Star” hotels are under construction. These include the Flower of the East under construction in Kish, Iran,[7] The Centaurus Complex under construction in Islamabad, Pakistan[8] and a complex planned for Metro Manila in the Philippines.[9]

I guess the point is, with such a luxury jump between a regular 5 star hotel or the “super hotels”, either all old hotels would have to be reasigned numbers, or new numbers should be added. :confused

I know you are no taking sides, I wasn’t directing anything to you specifically. I just think going over a set score limit is absolutely absurd.

so they have to be stuck with their system. times change and the structure of a hotel rating system aparantly must change. think of it as an amendment to the constitution, if we werent allowed to amend it with the changing times imagine what we would be stuck with. adapt and overcome. im sure that hotel knocks the doors off of any other hotel in the world. i think a reevaluation of each hotel every year would be a more effective method but thats me.

Well damn those smart kids who think that having a solid 4.0 is “below” them and they want a 5.0 point system :ahh

well than hotels should be re-rated every couple years or so. It’s completely unfair to change the point scale for those existing hotels. I agree a 1970 5-star hotel is not he same as a 2008 5-star, but to magically just add a star or two to the system is ridiculous. Its just like changing the grading system to 5.0. When I look back and mention my 3.5 GPA when 5.0 is the max, I’ll seem like an idiot. Am I suppose to put a little “*” next to it to let them know it was before the change. I agree standards change with time, but you have to be fair about it.

When the cheapest room is $2k per night they can create any rating system they want. The pictures I’ve seen of that hotel are INSANE, let me look I think I can find them.