DWI Canadian Border Crossing Question!! HELP

100% chance

http://www.cbp.gov/

wow look up Canadian Customs and Immigration…talk to a human being, preferably an officer of some sorts…ask them your question…

i went last weekend with a couple friends with DWAI’s, no problems.

our driver said as long as it wasnt an actual DWI, it should be ok.

i’m not sure of the rules/laws, this is just how it worked out for us.

http://www.no-ny-dwi.com/cost-dwi.html

Specifically:

Travel:

You will not be able to travel to Canada for a prior of 5 years after a DWI or DWAI conviction in New York. This can be a serious situation if you are denied entry at the Canadian border or in a Canadian airport.

Section 36 of the Immigration Act of Canada…
http://www.lawyers.ca/international/sectiondetail.asp?ID=13&state=Ontario

[Criminality including DUI]

(2) A foreign national is inadmissible on grounds of criminality for

(a) having been convicted in Canada of an offence under an Act of Parliament punishable by way of indictment, or of two offences under any Act of Parliament not arising out of a single occurrence;

(b) having been convicted outside Canada of an offence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament, or of two offences not arising out of a single occurrence that, if committed in Canada, would constitute offences under an Act of Parliament;

© committing an act outside Canada that is an offence in the place where it was committed and that, if committed in Canada, would constitute an indictable offence under an Act of Parliament; or

(d) committing, on entering Canada, an offence under an Act of Parliament prescribed by regulations.

What that means is, your DWAI here in the US would have been a DUI in Canada, which is considered “offence under an Act of Parliament”. That means no Canada for you, because by law, you no longer get to see it all.

i think it may have been dropped to a dwai… all i know is after all the shit he is going though, i have become a lot stricter on myself.

looks like its a NO GO

You will not be able to travel to Canada for a prior of 5 years after a DWI or DWAI conviction in New York. This can be a serious situation if you are denied entry at the Canadian border or in a Canadian airport.

game ova!

He can try. If they run his ID, it will instantly show up that he has a DWAI conviction though, at which point he will be denied entry. If they had already asked the “have any of you been convicted of a crime” question and he didn’t say anything, he can be arrested. Otherwise they simply turn him around.

So he can chance it, and bring cab fare in case he needs a ride home after walking back to the US side from Canadian Customs.

My friend with the DWAI ended up going to Toronto just a few weeks ago with some friends. Not his car, he wasn’t driving, and they didn’t ask for everyones ID.

No, he can’t legally go to Canada. That’s all there is to it.

Hope he learned a lesson: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d136/yestadays/drunkdriving.jpg

I wouldn’t even bring him to the border. That’s all you need is to raise undue suspicion and before you know it everyone gets a cavity search.

Yeah. With how lax the Canadian customs is, odds are you’ll be fine going across.

But bring cab fare for him if he gets denied.

Looks like hes gonna have to stay in Buffalo for the night. I dont want to raise any suspicion because we will probably have a few ounces of weed, and enough blow to kill an African elephant. Not to mention the dead hookers and handguns…

thanks for all the help/advice guys.

Cool. Are you guys in the NFL/NBA?

Nope.

Depends on the inspector you get when you cross.
There is no answer.
seriously.

Not true.
DWI is a game ender for cananda, they don’t care how long ago.

XFL we are hardcore

Half the time I have my ID in my hand, but they don’t even look at it. Or they just glance at it and let me go. I could be a wanted serial killer with a trunk full of weapons and dead bodies, and they would wave me right on through.

They don’t run your licenses…and I’m sure they don’t have everyone who isn’t allowed in committed to memory

instant answer- call the canda border protection service.

wait… so when they ask for your license, they dont run them in the computer? BASTARDS!

everytime ive gone over in a limo…they never looked at anyones ID’s or anything. they walk on the bus/limo, find out its a bachelor party, say “have a good time and congrats”, then walk off.

never once had ID’s pulled or anything. not even questions.

but it would sure suck to get to the border and they actually check.

it doesnt matter if its a DWI or DWAI.
If its a impaired CONVICTION… its treated almost the same.

You have 2 options.
1-Take him with you… if you get turned around then you drop him off and go back over. You can do this without any problems, its just wasted time.

2- Make him drive across in a seperate car. If he gets across, meet up after the tolls and continue on in the limo.

If he gets pulled, act like u didnt know u werent allowed over and they will just give him a warning.

Recently they have been running licenses