DWI Canadian Border Crossing Question!! HELP

Maybe someone on this board can help. Im having my bachelor party this weekend in Buffalo. We rented a limo and will be heading to the Downer. Only problem is a buddy of mine is worried about crossing. He got a DWI a few years back in the US, but was never convicted. It was dropped to a DWAI (i think) which is equivalent to a moving violation. He was told that he could never enter canada because he was arrested for a felony, is this true?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this?? Is anyone on this board a convicted felon who crosses the border often??

Thanks

:snky:

He may be fucked. He may be fine. There’s no way to tell unless her tries to enter and is denied.

I thought you had to be convicted of a felony.

He should try to get in before that night and see what happens

he cant go over for like seven years from the date he got arrested, or maybe its ten…
my buddy just got a d-dub…

We dont want to try… we would like a definite answer. Theres going to be like 30 of us going over and we dont want to have to turn the limo around and go back to buffalo if he gets denied.

Is there a # u can call or a website you can check??

Now the real question, if your buddy knew this why wait to find out until 2 days before you are looking to go to canada?

I mean, it’s not like this was some unforseen thin, or the trip to canada just popped up out of the blue.

Was he convicted of a DWI?? usually you plea and are charged with something lesser…

call customs/border patrol…

Yep, he’s fucked. A friend of mine got a DWI last year, reduced to a DWAI, and he’s not allowed in Canada for 7 years. I guess after 2 you can apply for permission, but unless you have a good reason the Canadian government rarely grants it.

Cuz hes lazy??:spank:

Then leave his ass behind.

It’s his fault/problem to deal with anyways.

o man we better get over the border, its imparative

remind me never to be your friend…:hang: I understand its his problem, im just trying to use the power of NYspeed to help.

Meeka make sure when you cash your paycheck, ask for it in singles. Cuz we are gonna make it RAIN at the Downer!!

okay so it looks like he cant cross…:thankyou:

I’m sorry. I just would expect my friends to have good enough judgement to not go driving drunk, and then if they do, take the steps needed to look up some simple information on their own a little bit earlier than 2 days beforehand. I’d punch him in the face, AND leave him at the border.

:word:

It’s not the US that won’t let you into Canada, it’s Canadian Customs that won’t let you in.

:lol: :tup:

You do realize there is a canadian border patrol as well right? :bloated:

Yeah but I’m fairly certain they don’t call it Customs and Border Protection, which I thought is what he meant when he said Customs/Border Patrol

And I really don’t think there’s a “Can I get into Canada even though I’ve done ___________________” hotline