Leagality, and leaving the country.

I have a friend (yes this is legit) who ran into some trouble with the law about 5-10 years ago. He is under the influence that he is not allowed to go into Canada. Does anyone have any idea where we would have to go (besides he border) to find out if he can actually go into Canada? I have already gone to the state troopers barracks and they had no information for me. They said just go to the border and worst case scenario they hold us there…Not an option. Ideas?

send him to the border alone, on foot. if he makes it across he calls you and you drive over with the car and pick him up.

I dont have much info for you, unfortunately. I tried to call and ask a few years ago for myself, but they wouldnt give me much info over the phone. since then I’ve been over 10+ times, have gotten a passport, and gone to Spain and back, no problems.

if its DWI related, if his information is ran, he will most likely not be allowed in from 10 years of when it happened.

Thanks. I am trying to call customs atm.

US customs isnt who you need to worry about.

Doesn’t really matter what he was charged with, what was he actually convicted of?

And is the 5-10 because you don’t know, or he doesn’t remember if it was 5 or 10 years ago?

being charged with a DWI in canada is enough to keep you out for 10+ years… they can ban you for anything they want

Who should I call?

It was in that range he does not remember EXACTLY

you want to speak with canadian customs.

rather, he will.

He was charged with a misdemeanor over $500…in Texas. I am still confused myself how this keeps him from going to Canada.

If you have court dates or something in the U.S. you can’t go into Canada. So if his Texas thing is unresolved then I think he would not be let in. -I think that is close to the real truth but just trying to say. :confused:

What was the misdemeanor charge specifically? was he CONVICTED of it?

Back in my youth i had some problems in canada. I fled for the bridge and made it before the OPP caught up. They sent a letter saying i was charged and court was such and such day. i blew it off and they sent letters for years about not comming to canada etc…as i could be incarserated. I go 3-4 times a year and have not had a problem. I have to add that i have not been pulled over since, and this was like 20 years ago

it was not dwi or anything (would have if i stopped) i think i was convicted of disorderly conduct

http://hedgehogsbyvickie.com/images/baby17.jpg

the only person that will have the answer is the person at Canadian Customs.

JUST an FYI, my friend tried crossing the boarder and was caught. He had a DWI charge 2 years ago and this was his 2nd failed attempt to get over the border. They told him they could hold him there until his 5 years is up.

1st time getting caught: warning and turned around
2nd time: canadian jail

dis be whut i sayin brah

He got lied to.

If it was ver some bullshit in Texas CA customs will NOT hold you. You will get a warning and they will turn you around and send you home.

The best thing to do is to walk across so you do not have the hassle of a car and booth people to deal with. You can speak to an agent inside the building right away and they will look up your info and explain things to you.

This way you can same you came to talk and not to sneak across in a car.

Felony convictions will keep you out for good, right?

Unless temp residency is filed way down the road…? $$$

I hear drinking offenses can be a bitch for 10 years. 1st time caught is a warning and after that is POSSIBLE fines or being held for a short period…?

All hearsay though. :gotme: