E85 as race fuel?

was it HOT ROD mag that just did an E85 bb that made 600+ hp

i think i was the article in super chevy.

this was on LS1 tech too. they have a few high high hp vettes running on the E85 stuff, and gettin VERY impressive gas mileage tooo

any idea where he is getting it. Out of curiosity I looked for stations that sell it around richmond and couldn’t come up with anything.

E-85 is 85% ethenol and 15% Gasoline The gas is only present to help the car start in cold weather. Only Flex fuel cars can use it unless they convert over. E-85 contains less heat energy but the benefits are simply a lower cost of fuel and its better on the environment although it is also somewhat contributing to global warming. The alochol content of if is what causes the corrosion and swelled gas lines. High horsepower cars use it because the octane rating is around 104. So if you can afford the conversion I would do it because E-85 has been out since the 90’s its not going anywhere fast.

I didn’t know it has been around that long. Is there anywhere close to your location that sells it?

About a year ago, the closest E85 station was Morgantown, WV. It looks like E85 is gaining popularity. Here is a station locator: http://www.e85fuel.com/index.php

I personally have never seen a place that sells it yet. But because of gas prices I bet you’ll see more places bringing it out soon.

my 2 pennies. it takes 1.5 gallons of e85 to do the same that 1 gallon of regular gas does. common sense tells me that e-85 will cost more $ than normal gas. source is popular mechanics mag… dunno exact motnh., it is laying at the garage.

however, being e85 has a motor rating of 100, it is ideal for gearheads. as we all know motor rating>all. thats a pretty damn good rating for gas that is cheaper than normal pump gas. however, it dont hold a candle to true race gas.

yet here is what i dont understand. on flex fuel cars–how do they decifer what gas is in the car? as duty cycle, egt, cht, flame properties, etc will greatly differ from the two fuels as they have an entirely different properties. how the hell does the ecu klnow what fuel is in it?

Well its actually pretty simple to explain. Since the stoichiometric point for ehtanol is 9:1 instead of 14.7:1 as for gasoline, the air fuel mixture has to be changed for the % of ethanol present in the gas tank. In order to distinguish which gas is being used they added a composition sensor. So basically the sensor tells the computer what the stoichiometric pressure is and the sensor relays the message to the computer differentiating which fuel is being used.At that point the computer adjusts to the parimeters of the fuel and compensates.

Does it even matter? I mean for a stock car, the ecu is really just trying to get a exhaust output right? All thats going to happen is the mixture will change to meet the ecu’s window of emissions. I think, but then I might be totally full of shit…

That’s some good info. I was wondering about that. :bigthumb:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=73061

http://e85vehicles.com/converting-e85.htm

http://www.e85refueling.com

we had a lecture for E-85 up here at school so I guess shit comes in handy to know.

A guy on my civic forum is getting a new fule system installed on his car then the shop is going to tune hiscar to run on e85 he is shooting for 470ish whp on a stock bottom end (which if he did would be quite impressive for a k20-block) ill let you guys know what kinda problems he runs into and if it ends up working

:cool:

i saqid i would post up the results when he posted them so here is what someone made on e85
Saturday the 10th @ http://www.t1racedevelopment.com/ my ep will go under the knife again this will be the first install that was not performed by myself but it will be in good hands. Today Tony Palo offered me an oppurtunity to allow the use of my car for himself and another New company to install thier first fuel delivery kit on for an rsx/ep3 with a high horespower application need. The best part about it is I pay for the parts and all labor is free!!! The morning of the 10th it will start then the afternoon if everything goes as planned we will be doing an ethanol e85 tune. Im not sure what to expect the new system will have:
walbro 255lph intake fuel pump
0-100psi fuel liquid filled, black face gauge
adjustable fuel regulator
1000cc precision fuel injectors
golden eagle titanium fuel rail
aircraft fittings
stainless steel braided hoses
E85 tune by Tony Palo
Tony made 310@7psi with my gt30rbb closed exhaust stock fuel system with 580cc’s.

The car know has
k20a2bottom end
k20a head
itr manifold
bored throttlebody
gt30rbb
hondata k-pro
hondata img
rev-hard manifold no exhaust open
(all parts jet-coated and ported out re-welded revhard mani)
all custom piping
turbo works fmic
3bar map
ingalls damp
solid mounts
tial wastgate
xs boost controller
hks ssq bov
t-bolts
golden eagle vaccum block
open wastgate
competition stg 4 sprung clutch
5-speed =longer gears
hopefully 15-20psi 450-475whp
arp studs all over arp 12point bolts all over
ECT…
STOCK MOTOR…
I will update and video the tune. when it happens and guest are welcome in dfw area.

HIS NEXT UPDATE AFTER THE TUNE

Ok Tony got finished around 7pm this evening we only did a few runs and stopped @ 423whp 292tq @ only 17psi on e85 ethenol, I will post pics and dyno sheet tommorow night. Tony and Phillip did an excellent job on the fuel kit. We stopped because I felt that was fast enough for the time bieng but we did not stop due to any issues, the car ran great as u will see tommorow the curve goes straight up never dips. Tony feels that the boost by gear will be great for my set up so the next thing coming very soon is full race fmic and boost by gear tune @20psi we hope for almost 500whp.

When I left the shop tonight and finnaly got on the car it scared the shit out of me the tires were smoking @ the top of 3rd!!! I did get a few vids ill try and also post soon.
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/300/mitchaf6.jpg

:eek4:

k20a2 block is n/a 200bhp from the factory so thats not to bad for a stock bottom end