E85 Ethanol vs 93 Pump Gas

Yes, i fogot to add, his dad tuned the car for it, theres a couple different things in there for fuel management

Stock meaning, stock intake exhaust, nothing done to the car but fuel stuff, it was a project they had.

Huh?

I waasnt going to use E85 as a sustitute for 93 but more as a street friendly race gas. It almost evens itself out as far as mileage vs cost as 97VR4 explained. I rather not be stranded 200 miles from home with a emty tank and nowhere to fill it, so I wouldnt be using it in a daily driver.

just pouring in E85 is like running your car at 17:1 a/f ratio. It wouldnt take long under load before you had a engine bay full of interestingly shaped paper weights to amaze your coworkers with

stoich on Ethanol is closer to 11:1 I believe. but both gasoline and E85 are stoich at lamda 1. They have the same unburnt exaust gas oxygen ratios.

I guess if you wanted it bad enough you could install the parts you need for E85 and have two seperate tunes available, if you have the right software. That way you can use E85 when you need it or want it and use 93 when you want to. You can run regular pump gas on an E85 car but not the other way around.

exactly… If I want to go on a road trip I would just run the tank empty, fill it with 93, and reflash the stock or 93 tune

We did get a little off topic here. I will update the original post with any pro/cons that you think should be there. I might ad a post from LS1 tech on more advanced data and tuning information on E85. It had alot of in depth and relative info for any engine on Ethanol

E85 stoich is ~9.7:1, depending on the blend of your favorite gas station. Typical gasoline stoich is 14.7:1.
14.7:1 = lambda 1 for gasoline
9.7:1 = lambda 1 for e85
All widebands read lambda and then multiply by a constant for a given fuel type to calculate an air/fuel ratio. Have you ever seen where you select the fuel type for a wideband’s units, and the displayed a/f changes a LOT even though the car is running the same?
If you set your wideband units to gasoline, it takes whatever lambda value it reads and multiplies if by 14.7. So, if your wideband is configured to read gasoline a/f, then just divide the a/f displayed by your wideband by 14.7 to get the lambda.
If your PLX reads 14.7:1, the lambda is (14.7/14.7) = 1.0
If your PLX reads 12:1, the lambda is (12/14.7) = .82
If your PLX reads 11:1, the lambda is (11/14.7) = .75

Regarding timing, its something that definitely needs to be dyno tuned, like any setup. However, from the cars that I have tuned on both gasoline and e85, itsmeen consistent to say that e85 will want more advance than typical pump gas and less advance than race gas c16/maximal/etc.

From everything I have read, they say to start off by adding 30% fuel and 3* timing.

A lot of tuners don’t add timing when running higher boost.

ive been told that its not good for your O2 sensors and if your car isnt built for it dont use it
but if it is good u wont see me using it in my car ;D

The thing is with the E85 you can, in fact its more of the point where as the point of the meth is to run more boost.

Why can you with E85 and not with meth?

Also, my post was in context of VP C16. More don’t touch the AFR based on octane but some won’t even with timing. And VP C16 > E85

come on dude you cant be that stupid ? :wtf all fuel is petroleum water can get in the tanks at the station very easy and condensation please tell me your just f*cking with me :crackup i build gas stations and went to school for petroleum

Petroleum is the proper term for crude oil. E85 is classified as a Biofuel… I didnt go to school for this.

C16 is obviously a far superior fuel with higher octane and more stored energy per volume than E85. The problem is running C16 all the time is not good for O2 sensors as they are self cleaning and everytime they clean the life of the sensor is just a bit shorter. If youre using catalytic converter/s it will clog them up or at least cause them to stop functioning, and if you have to pass emissions (obd II) that limits you to 93 pump. C16 is not available at any local gas station and E85 is available at 3 known stations in the area. I know E85 has its short comings but every fuel has its pros and cons.
Every fuel is going to have some moisture contamination but E85 absorbs it because its an alcohol like dry gas. Im not sure if this has a significant effect on dilluting the fuel but it is a concern. Then again if you have a tank full of gas and you get water in it you know what happens. E85 will probably still burn, it would just hurt performance.

Which is why I run methanol. It’s cheap and has no real consequences that I can see.

The only consequence I can see is running out of methanol and not realizing it. How much do you really go thru tho. I know alot of people use it as a safety net and dont see a gain from it. Just run it so they have some knock resistence

Most systems have sensor of some sort to detect when its out to pull back some timing or whatever.

True. But, I can easily see it running out via AFR and with my low flow warning on my kit.

how much? I rarely drive my car but I can’t imagine someone needing more than a gallon a week unless they beat the hell ot of their car every friggin second.

There should always be a gain from the cooling factor itself. For me, I can put back some timing that I am pulling due to my big fuel system and I can run 22-24PSI instead of 17. Huge increases for me without pushing my system.

That I did not know. Even if they didnt have a warning sensor I wouldnt want to be the guy who didnt check the fluid level religiously. Apparently that scinario was already thought out