E85 in 1994 mustang

anyone ever accidentally put E85 in their car? i have a customer now that got some from a gas station. now there was about 20bucks worth in the tank. the customer drove but now the car sounds like a diesel.
anyone ever know how much damagecan be done using E85? this is my first experience with it.

I know this isn’t the problem, but alcohol eats rubber fuel lines. He’d better get that shit out of there.

flush flush flush then gas if the system isn’t damaged. If the fuel linings are damaged, replace replace replace.

I would think the major problem would come from it running lean since alcohol requires a much larger volume of fuel per volume of air.

did they get it by accident or did they get it because he was at the pumps and said “woo hoo over a hundred octane and the same price as 87 I’m gettin’ me some of that”

he got it by accident. it was at a gas station that had their tank filled with e 85 instead of 87.

gas station should definitely pay for repairs!!!

that would have been the case but it miraculously shut down!! so think they knew there was a problem.

e85 will throw all kinds of codes. Lean codes especially.

My 06 Impala was running like shit 2 weeks ago. Took it into the shop, they had it for a week, replaced 2 or 3 different parts, did nothing. Finally they said “look, we don’t know what the hell is going on”. I drove it with it shifting terrible and stalling out until the last 5 gallons of e85 got out, then put regular 87 in it and in about 20 minutes the check engine light went off and its been fine since.

It was throwing 22 codes with the e85 in it. I don’t know what the hell was going on.

lean lean lean. definitely don’t get on the throttle unless you desire holes in your pistons. It’s not good for the fuel lines but a little shouldn’t hurt

maybe you could unplug vac from the fuel pressure regulator temporarily. that should up the pressure a little down low and maybe cure the lean condition. you’ve gotta emphasize staying out of the throttle tho

If you really have to drop the tank and dump it

How about filling the rest of the tank with gasoline? That would at least dilute the amount of ethanol in the tank to about 40% instead of 85%. Not sure if this is a good idea. Just thinking out loud.

As an experiment these people ran a non-flexfuel tahoe for 100K miles on e85:

They claim most cars can handle ethanol but don’t have the right sensors and software to alter the fuel/air.

yeah e85 needs more fuel compared to gasoline. E85 converted cars usually have larger injectors to compensate for the extra ethanol.

it will be very lean i guess if you ran e85 on a non e85 car. i forget what else needs changed when wanting to run e85. i think hotrod magazine or similar mag did a several page article alll about e85

on one of the crown vic forums I visit, a few guys have been running it for a few months on non flex fuel vehicles and have not had any problems. It should take a long time for the alcohol to eat the lines.